Baseball sweeps Villanova in three-game series

McGarry strikes out nine batters in first quality start of career Friday

Freshman third baseman Zack Gelof and senior center fielder Cameron Simmons each had four hits in the weekend series for Virginia.

The Virginia baseball team swept Villanova in a three-game home series at Disharoon Park over the weekend.

The two teams ended up playing a doubleheader Friday, as the game initially scheduled for Saturday was moved a day earlier due to inclement weather in the forecast.

Virginia (4-3, 0-0 ACC) won 7-2 in the first game Friday afternoon, as sophomore right-handed pitcher Griff McGarry went six innings in the first quality start of his collegiate career. McGarry struck out nine batters and allowed only two hits.

Villanova (0-6, 0-0 Big East) led 1-0 until the fourth inning, when Virginia tied the score as freshman third baseman Zack Gelof drew a walk with the bases loaded. The Cavaliers would go on to score five runs in the fourth.

Senior center fielder Cameron Simmons and sophomore right fielder Alex Tappen each hit home runs in the game to give the Cavaliers a comfortable lead.

Virginia won 7-3 Friday evening. The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead in the second on an RBI groundout by senior first baseman Nate Eikhoff, but Villanova evened the game in the third against Virginia’s starting pitcher, freshman right-handed pitcher Mike Vasil.

Gelof doubled to left to put the Cavaliers back up 2-1 in the fifth. However, in the seventh, Villanova freshman third baseman Nick Lorusso doubled with two outs to drive in two runs and put the Wildcats ahead 3-2.

Virginia sophomore shortstop Tanner Morris tied the game at three runs each with a solo home run in the bottom of the eighth. Morris led the Cavaliers with three hits in Friday’s nightcap.

A single to right by Eikhoff in the eighth put Virginia ahead 4-3, and the Cavaliers would go on to score five runs in the frame. Sophomore left-handed pitcher Andrew Abbott got the win in relief.

Sunday afternoon’s game — which ended as a 10-2 Virginia victory — began with a leadoff home run for Villanova junior right fielder Tyler Bruno off the Cavaliers’ starting pitcher, junior right-handed pitcher Noah Murdock.

Murdock struck out seven Villanova hitters in five innings of work, allowing two runs on five hits. He did not factor into the decision, as the win instead went to junior right-handed pitcher Paul Kosanovich, who relieved him in the sixth and went two perfect innings.

The Cavaliers tied the score at a run apiece in the fourth inning on a double by senior designated hitter Cameron Comer, driving in sophomore left fielder Brendan Rivoli.

However, Lorusso hit a solo home run to open the top of the sixth inning and put his team back ahead by a run.

The Cavaliers exploded for five runs in their half of the sixth, going ahead 3-2 on a sacrifice fly by senior pinch hitter Jack Weiller, driving in junior catcher Logan Michaels. Michaels went 3-3 and scored 2 runs Sunday.

Virginia added two more runs each in both the seventh and eighth innings, including two driven in by Gelof. Gelof went 2-4 Sunday, scoring a run and stealing two bases. He leads the team in RBIs with 9 on the season.

The Cavaliers next play Tuesday afternoon at home against William and Mary at 3 p.m.