No. 7 women’s lacrosse defeats William and Mary, 16-8

The Cavaliers used a dominant second half to defeat the Tribe

<p>The No. 7 Virginia women's lacrosse team dominated William and Mary in the second half.</p>

The No. 7 Virginia women's lacrosse team dominated William and Mary in the second half.

The No. 7 Virginia women’s lacrosse team defeated William and Mary 16-8 Tuesday at Martin Family Stadium in Williamsburg.

The first half was tightly contested as the teams traded goals, but the Cavaliers (5-0, 0-0 ACC) were able to head into halftime with a 6-4 lead. 

Virginia dominated the second half, scoring seven consecutive goals after halftime to put the game away. The Tribe (2-1, 0-0 CAA) were scoreless until there was 10:29 remaining in the second half, after which the team scored an additional four goals. 

The Cavaliers had a balanced offensive attack, as four players recorded hat tricks in the win.

Senior attacker Avery Shoemaker, senior midfielder Maggie Jackson, sophomore midfielder Ashlyn McGovern and freshman midfielder Lillie Kloak each scored three goals.

Jackson led the team with six points, adding three assists to go along with her goal tally. Junior goalkeeper Charlie Campbell, the reigning ACC Defensive Player of the Week, stopped 7 of 15 shots on goal from the Tribe. 

The Cavaliers have now won 18 consecutive games against the Tribe, and today’s win pushed them to 5-0 on the season.

Virginia begins ACC play Saturday as the Cavaliers travel to face No. 4 Syracuse at the Carrier Dome. Virginia returns home to Klöckner Stadium next Wednesday to face George Mason.