Baseball earns comeback victory over Connecticut

Cavaliers erase three-run deficit

Senior right-hander Chesdin Harrington pitched three innings of no-hit relief Wednesday.

The Virginia baseball team (10-10, 2-4 ACC) beat Connecticut 6-3 at Disharoon Park Wednesday after a three-run rally in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Connecticut junior first baseman Chris Winkel hit a three-run homer off Virginia’s starting pitcher, freshman right-hander Zach Messinger, in the top of the second to put the Huskies ahead 3-0.

Messinger pitched two innings for the Cavaliers, giving up only those three runs on two hits. However, he walked three Connecticut batters and hit another. Five different Virginia relievers pitched seven scoreless innings in relief of Messinger.

Connecticut loaded the bases in the top of the third, but senior right-handed pitcher Chesdin Harrington got out of the inning unscathed after a double play.

In the bottom of the fourth, Virginia brought a run back on a solo shot to right field by sophomore catcher Brendan Rivoli. The home run was Rivoli’s third in four games. Rivoli leads the Cavaliers with a .359 batting average and is tied for the team lead in home runs and RBIs.

Harrington pitched through the fourth for Virginia, not giving up a single hit and striking out five Connecticut hitters before being relieved by sophomore right-handed pitcher Blake Bales.

After a perfect inning each from Bales and senior left-handed pitcher Riley Wilson, Virginia pitchers had retired 13 consecutive Huskies.

The Cavaliers tied the game up at three apiece in the bottom of the seventh. Junior right fielder Cayman Richardson and junior catcher Logan Michaels each singled with two outs to drive in a run.

In the bottom of the eighth, Virginia scored three more runs to go ahead for the first time all game. Senior designated hitter Jack Weiller hit a sacrifice fly to drive in freshman third baseman Zack Gelof, then senior first baseman Nate Eikhoff and Richardson each drove in a run with a single.

Richardson went 3-for-3 with two runs batted in against Connecticut.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Kyle Whitten pitched a perfect top of the ninth to earn his second save of the season.

The Cavaliers next face Pittsburgh Saturday at Disharoon Park. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.