No. 6 women’s lacrosse bounces back with big win over George Mason

The Cavaliers defeated the Patriots 20-9 to improve to 6-1

<p>Senior attacker Avery Shoemaker matched a career high in the game with 6 goals.</p>

Senior attacker Avery Shoemaker matched a career high in the game with 6 goals.

The No. 6 Virginia women’s lacrosse team defeated George Mason 20-9 at Klöckner Stadium Wednesday afternoon.

George Mason (3-3, 0-0 Atlantic 10) struck first with a goal 1:09 into the game, but Virginia (6-1, 0-1 ACC) answered with a 3-0 run. The Patriots then went on a 3-0 run of their own to retake the lead with 17:40 left in the first half.

The game was tied at five midway through the first half, but the Cavaliers took over and dominated from that point on. Virginia closed the half on an 8-2 run to head into halftime with a 13-7 lead. 

The Cavaliers’ defense was stifling in the second half, as they held the Patriots to just two goals after the break. The offense, meanwhile, continued to click, and Virginia continued to pile up goals.

Senior attacker Avery Shoemaker led the way for the Cavaliers, tying a career high with six goals. Sophomore attacker Taylor Regan and freshman midfielder Lillie Kloak each recorded hat tricks in the win. Junior midfielder Sammy Mueller led the team in assists with five. Junior goalkeeper Charlie Campbell stopped 7 of 16 shots on goal from George Mason. 

The 20 goals scored by the Cavaliers were a season-high and the most by the team since scoring 22 goals against William and Mary in March 2014. The win was a nice rebound for Virginia after suffering its first loss of the season to No. 4 Syracuse over the weekend. 

The game was initially scheduled for a 7 p.m. start, but inclement weather forced the game to start at 4 p.m. The Cavaliers return to ACC play with a game against No. 3 North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., Saturday. Opening faceoff is set for 12 p.m.