Baseball defeats James Madison, 2-1

Cavaliers surrender only three hits to the Dukes

<p>Virginia sophomore right-hander Devin Ortiz pitched a 4.1 inning no-hitter in relief.</p>

Virginia sophomore right-hander Devin Ortiz pitched a 4.1 inning no-hitter in relief.

Virginia defeated James Madison (23-18, 4-8 CAA) 2-1 at home Wednesday night. The Cavaliers surrendered only three hits in the contest.

Freshman left-hander Billy Price got the start on the hill for Virginia and went 1.2 innings, giving up James Madison’s only run on a single hit.

The Dukes took a 1-0 lead off Price in the top of the second and held that advantage until the bottom of the fifth.

Virginia sophomore right-hander Devin Ortiz pitched 4.1 innings of no-hit baseball in relief of Price and went on to earn the win for the Cavaliers.

In the bottom of the fifth, Rivoli hit a sacrifice fly to drive in sophomore right fielder Alex Tappen to tie the game, then senior center fielder Cameron Simmons walked with the bases loaded to put Virginia ahead.

Junior right-hander Paul Kosanovich and Whitten pitched the final three innings for the Cavaliers and kept the score 2-1, with Whitten earning his eighth save of the season.

Virginia next plays in a three-game weekend series at No. 15 North Carolina. First pitches are scheduled for 6 p.m Friday, 3 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday at Boshamer Stadium.