No. 7 women’s lacrosse falls to No. 1 Boston College

The Cavaliers stymied by slow start, lose 16-9

<p>Sophomore midfielder Ashley McGovern had three goals against Boston College, tying her highest tally for the year.</p>

Sophomore midfielder Ashley McGovern had three goals against Boston College, tying her highest tally for the year.

The No. 7 Virginia women’s lacrosse team lost to No. 1 Boston College by a score of 16-9 at Newton Lacrosse Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass., Saturday afternoon. 

It was a rough first half for the Cavaliers (9-4, 1-4 ACC) as the Eagles (12-0, 3-0 ACC) outscored them 10-1 in the first 30 minutes. Boston College scored two consecutive goals to take an early lead, but a goal from Virginia sophomore midfielder Ashlyn McGovern cut the deficit in half with 21:44 remaining in the first half. However, Boston College closed the half on an 8-0 run and took a 10-1 lead into the break.

Boston College struck again to begin the second half, but Virginia finally found some momentum after giving up the early goal. The Cavaliers rattled off four consecutive goals and scored six of the game’s next seven goals to cut the deficit to 12-7 with 11:34 remaining. The Eagles answered with two goals from senior midfielder Dempsey Arsenault. The Cavaliers scored two more goals before the game ended, outscoring Boston College in the second half 8-6.

McGovern and junior midfielder Sammy Mueller each recorded hat tricks for Virginia. Senior attacker Avery Shoemaker, junior midfielder Nora Bowen and freshman midfielder Lillie Kloak also found the back of the net for the Cavaliers. Senior midfielder Maggie Jackson led the team with two assists. Junior goalkeeper Charlie Campbell stopped 8 of 24 shots on goal from the Eagles. Boston College senior attacker Sam Apuzzo recorded six goals in the win. 

Virginia returns to action Wednesday when it hosts No. 2 Maryland at Klöckner Stadium. The Terrapins are undefeated on the season and will come into this contest with a record of 12-0. Opening faceoff is set for 7 p.m.