No. 5 men’s soccer defeats Western Michigan in overtime 1-0

Sophomore forward Cabrel Happi Kamseu scores in the 93rd minute to help the Cavaliers stay unbeaten

<p>Sophomore forward Cabrel Happi Kamseu tied for the team lead with five goals last season.</p>

Sophomore forward Cabrel Happi Kamseu tied for the team lead with five goals last season.

No. 3 men’s soccer finished a three game homestand Monday night, defeating Western Michigan 1-0. However, the Cavaliers’ (7-0-0, 2-0-0 ACC) seventh win proved to be a difficult one, as it took an overtime period to down the Broncos (4-3-0, 0-0-0 MAC).

Throughout the night, Virginia shut down the Broncos’ offense, holding Western Michigan to zero shots on goal and extending junior goalkeeper Colin Shutler’s shutout streak to three matches.

Offensively, the Cavaliers were relatively quiet in the first half, posting just three shots on goal. The best chance Virginia mustered was a header by freshman centerback Andreas Ueland in the 22nd minute that went wide right.

In the second half, however, the Cavaliers were able to produce higher quality attempts. Sophomore forward Daniel Steedman came very close to a goal with his free kick from 20 yards out in the 57th minute. Steedman — who scored off a free kick against High Point — was able to curl his shot around the wall, but the shot rang off the crossbar. 

In the 84th minute, Steedman had another opportunity to put Virginia up, but this time the Scotland native’s shot was denied by the left post, as the Cavaliers posted four shots on goal in regulation.

In the 93rd minute, Virginia was able to finally put the game away. Sophomore midfielder Bret Halsey sent a pass into the center of the 18-yard box that sophomore forward Cabrel Happi Kamseu shot into the top-right corner of the net. This was the first goal of the season for Kamseu, who had 5 goals in 16 matches last season.

“Just getting him some minutes and then him getting the goal was just the cherry on top for [Happi Kamseu’s] confidence,” Coach George Gelnovatch said. “I want to keep getting him some minutes — he is a handful for any opponent.”

Virginia will now head to Notre Dame, Ind., to face No. 21 Notre Dame — who eliminated the Cavaliers in the third round of the NCAA Tournament last year. The match is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 27 at 7:00 p.m. and will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra.