No. 10 women’s squash defeats No. 15 George Washington 8-1

The Cavaliers continue their winning streak in their first away game of the season

<p>Virginia women's squash picked up its first win against a ranked team Tuesday.</p>

Virginia women's squash picked up its first win against a ranked team Tuesday.

The Virginia women’s squash team traveled to play George Washington Tuesday night at the Matthew J. Grossman Squash Courts and seized its third victory in as many games this season. The No. 10 Cavaliers (3-0) faced off against the No. 15 Colonials (1-2) for the Washington-Jefferson Cup, ultimately capturing both a victory and the trophy. 

Standout performances from juniors Emily Woodworth and Giovanna Veiga De Almedia, who were both able to hold their opponents to only three matches, and senior Lois Lo, who battled one of her match victories to 15 points, powered Virginia to the comfortable win. 

Senior Elle Carroll opened the night for the Cavaliers in position eight, recording a 3-1 victory against her opponent, junior Aarushi Lakhotia, to give Virginia the first point of the night. Carroll came out strong in the first match, winning 7-11, though Lakhotia was able to fight for a 11-9 victory in their second showdown. However, Carroll rallied to win the next two matches 3-11, 6-11 and give Virginia the early advantage. 

Senior Tarya Arya then faced off against sophomore Nikki Pang in position six. Like Carroll, her showdown stretched to four matches. In the end, Arya was able to seize another point for the Cavaliers with a 3-11, 12-10, 8-11, 4-11 record. 

Lo gained yet another point for Virginia with a hard-fought victory in position nine. Two of her four matches against freshman Aariya Patel went into extra points, but Lo gained momentum in the late stages. 

Freshman Maria Paula Moya won in position two for the Cavaliers in a five-match showdown against senior Engy Elmandouh, stretching the score to 4-0 before Veiga De Almedia captured a fifth point for the Cavaliers with a 3-0 win in position seven.

Sophomore Mandy Haywood and Woodworth continued the stretch of Cavalier victories as Virginia kept on rolling throughout the evening.

The first Virginia loss of the night came when sophomore Emma Jinks fell to junior Zoe Foo Yuk Han in position one. After an 11-4 loss in match one, Jinks fought to keep the following matches close, but eventually lost the second and fourth matches 11-9 and 11-8, respectively. Foo Yuk Han has earned second-team All-American honors her last two seasons and is the highest individually ranked women’s player for the Colonials in program history.  

Freshman Sydney Maxwell finished the night off for Virginia, taking another point against senior Emma Tryon in position three. The matchup ended in 8-1 win in favor of the Cavaliers. 

Virginia women’s squash will next play at No. 3 Princeton Friday afternoon, seeking its first-ever win against the Tigers.