Hot shooting night drives women’s basketball past Boston College 69-52

Cavaliers secure second-straight win Sunday

<p>Jocelyn Willoughby led the Cavaliers with 23 points against Boston College.</p>

Jocelyn Willoughby led the Cavaliers with 23 points against Boston College.

Virginia women’s basketball won consecutive games for just the second time all season in a convincing win Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers (7-9, 2-3 ACC) had one of their best shooting performances of the year as the Eagles (9-7, 2-3 ACC) struggled to match Virginia’s offense. 

Virginia’s scoring effort was led by senior guard Jocelyn Willoughby and freshman guard Shemera Williams, who together provided 40 of the Cavaliers’ total 69 points.

Both teams got off to a fiery start on the offensive end, with the score even at 17 points each after the first quarter. While neither team established a good shooting rhythm, both squads were able to get the ball into the paint, draw fouls and connect from beyond the three-point line.

The second quarter saw Virginia pull away slightly thanks to a constricting defensive effort. The Eagles hit just two of 11 shots in the period for nine points total while Virginia shot 50 percent from the floor to lead by five at halftime. The Cavaliers capitalized on an 8-2 run within the last five minutes of the quarter which proved to be enough to hold on to the lead.

Virginia dictated the pace of play right out of the gate in the third quarter. The Cavaliers quickly built a double-digit lead through the end of the quarter thanks to penetrating drives by the Cavaliers’ backcourt as well as a strong mid-range game. 

Boston College shot just 31 percent from the floor in the quarter compared to Virginia’s 57 percent but scored almost half of its points from the free throw line to counteract a slow shooting quarter.

A near-perfect offensive fourth quarter sealed Virginia’s seventh win of the season and second in conference play as the Cavaliers shot an excellent 75 percent in the final quarter of play en route to a 17-point win. Virginia ended the game on a 14-4 run to hold off the Eagles, who dropped their third ACC game of the year. 

On the day, Willoughby’s and Williams’ scoring led the Cavaliers and their shooting efficiency bolstered Virginia’s best offensive outing of the year. The two players shot a combined 70 percent, which is the highest percentage two Virginia players have combined for this season when earning significant minutes. 

Up next, Virginia hopes to extend its win streak to three games against Wake Forest Thursday in Winston-Salem, N.C. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.