Honor introduces student contest initiative and proposed amendments

The Committee outlined their “Honorable Stock Competition” and voted on amendments to appear on the ballot this year

<p>Honor’s proposed impeachment amendment would allow Honor to replace members who consistently fail to attend committee meetings and participate in Honor. &nbsp;</p>

Honor’s proposed impeachment amendment would allow Honor to replace members who consistently fail to attend committee meetings and participate in Honor.  

The Honor Committee met Sunday evening for a general body meeting to discuss plans for a student competition and to review and vote on items that will appear on the ballot this upcoming election, which begins Feb. 26. The Committee unanimously voted to include amendments pertaining to Popular Assembly and impeachment proceedings on the ballot for upcoming student body elections.

Lucy Krasker, vice chair for community relations and a fourth-year Commerce student, introduced the “Honorable Stock Pitch” competition. The competition’s objective is to define Honor in the context of a company and then project financial growth and strategic initiatives over a five-year period. 

Groups of four to six students from the McIntire School of Commerce undergraduate and graduate programs are asked to submit their team proposals by Feb. 21. Final presentations will be made to a panel of faculty judges from the Commerce school March 27 for a first-place prize of $300.

“We want students to think about Honor post-graduation and in their summer internships,” Krasker said. “Hopefully, this will be the inaugural event and will continue next year.”

The Committee then moved on to discuss the impeachment and Popular Assembly constitutional amendments, which the Committee voted unanimously to feature on the ballot this year. 

The Popular Assembly amendment would make the event — which currently takes place every two years — an annual event that aims to make students interested and knowledgeable about Honor.

“The more consistency we can provide in our annual education events, the better,” said Honor chair Lillie Lyon, a fourth-year College student. “It allows for both the student body and the committee to look forward to [the Popular Assembly] every year and build on things done in previous years.”

Honor’s proposed impeachment amendment would allow Honor to replace members who consistently fail to attend Committee meetings and participate in Honor. Currently, the only way to remove such representatives is through a recall election, a process Lyon noted to be tedious and time-consuming such that she cannot remember a time the procedure took place.

The impeachment amendment was featured on last year’s ballot and received overwhelming support, with 90 percent of voters supporting the motion. However, low student turnout forced Honor to not adopt the amendment into the Honor constitution, something Lyon wants to change this year by assisting the University Board of Elections’ voting booths.

“We'll be doing everything we can,” Lyon said. “Luckily we have a really extensive membership… so hopefully we can lend big numbers to assisting the other agency organizations, staffing those booths and making sure people have places to stop and vote.”

The voting period takes place Feb. 26 through Feb. 28.