Women’s soccer welcomes 10 recruits for the 2020-21 season

The incoming class ranks second nationally with eight players ranked in the nation’s top 170 players

<p>Virginia adds nine freshmen and junior transfer defender Sarah Clark to its roster of 21 returning players as the team prepares for the 2020-21 season. &nbsp;</p>

Virginia adds nine freshmen and junior transfer defender Sarah Clark to its roster of 21 returning players as the team prepares for the 2020-21 season.  

After posting an impressive 17-2-3 record last season, Virginia women’s soccer prepares for another successful year on the pitch with the addition of 10 newcomers. Ranked second nationally by Top Drawer Soccer — with eight players ranked in the top 170 players in the nation, including four in the top 36 and two in the top 10 — the class includes nine freshman and junior transfer Sarah Clark from Purdue. 

“Despite the pandemic and in looking forward to better days ahead, we are extremely excited to announce our 2020 recruiting class,” Coach Steve Swanson said in May. “This class has tremendous potential to impact our program both in the short and long term as there is a great blend of motivated, competitive, driven, thoughtful and talented athletes.”

Forwards

Freshman forward Lia Godfrey

Godfrey is ranked No. 10 in the nation and played club soccer for the Jacksonville FC Storm and United Soccer Alliance DA. As a 14 year-old, Godfrey became the youngest US player to ever compete in a World Cup as a member of the 2016 U17 Women’s World Cup with the US National Team. The incoming freshman was also a member of the U19 Youth National Team and was a two-time United Soccer Coaches All-America selection in 2017 and 2019.

Freshman forward Brianna Jablonowski

Ranked No. 170 nationally by Top Drawer Soccer, Jablonowski played for FC Fury New York Developmental Academy and St. Anthony’s High School. During her high school career, Jablonowski was a two-time All-State selection at St. Anthony’s, a United Soccer Coaches and Top Drawer Soccer All-American selection and was named the 2018 US Soccer DA Eastern Conference Player of the Year. 

Forwards/Defenders

Freshman forward/defender Sarah Brunner

A Jacksonville, Fla. native, Brunner competed in cross country as well as soccer at Mandarin High School. Brunner was a three-time All-Gateway Conference Team selection in cross country and competed with the United Soccer Alliance DA. She ranks No. 160 nationally as an incoming freshman.

Midfielders

Freshman midfielder Peyton Goldthwaite

Goldthwaite ranks No. 99 nationally and played soccer at Durham Academy in Durham N.C. She joined the US U16 Youth National Team Player Pool and competed with the North Carolina Courage Developmental Academy and ODP Regional and State team. 

Freshman midfielder Laughlin Ryan

No. 116 in the nation, Ryan competed with the U19 Youth National Team in Spain in 2020. Ryan played for the Charlotte Soccer Academy Developmental Academy and was a lettered player at Myers Park High School in Charlotte, N.C.

Freshman midfielder Alexis Theoret

No. 36 ranked Theoret was a Washington Post All-Met selection and All-Northern Region second team in 2017. The Virginia native was lettered one year at Oakton High School and played for the FC Virginia Developmental Academy. Theoret was also a 2018-19 US Soccer Best XI and competed with the U16 and U18 US Youth National Teams in the midfielder position. 

Defenders

Freshman defender Samar Guidry

Guidry joins the Cavalier defense ranked No. 8 nationally by Top Drawer Soccer, boasting multiple achievements during her high school career in McKinney, Texas. The defender competed with FC Dallas and was a United Soccer Coaches All-American selection. Guidry was also a member of the 2018 U17 Women’s World Cup team and the U19 and U20 U.S. Youth National Teams.

Junior defender Sarah Clark 

Clark played three seasons at Purdue — including a redshirt junior year due to injury — starting 36 games and playing 3,190 minutes. She was named a Big 10 All-Freshman Team selection in 2017 and an Academic All-Big 10 selection as a sophomore in 2018. Notably, Clark recorded three goals and three assists as a defender, including the game-winning goal in double overtime against Indiana in 2018. 

Freshman defender Maggie Fralin

Fralin played at Collegiate School in Richmond, Va., where she lettered two seasons and joined the second team All-State selection in 2017. While she didn’t compete during her senior year at Collegiate School, Fralin trained with the Richmond U16 boys team and the Richmond United Club Team. 

Freshman defender Elaine Rouse

Rouse ranks No. 26 nationally as an incoming freshman, having played for the U14, U16, U19 and U20 Youth National Teams during her career. In addition, Rouse competed with the North Carolina Courage Developmental Academy and was a member of the ODP Regional and State teams. 

While the Cavaliers will miss veteran stars Courtney Peterson, Phoebe McClernon and Zoe Morse this season — all three were drafted into the NWSL in January — the incoming class adds depth to an already talented roster of 21 returning players as Virginia continues to build its program. Although the official 2020-21 schedule has not been announced yet, the women’s soccer team has returned to Grounds and begun training for the upcoming season.