No. 16 baseball shows no mercy against George Washington, wins 11-1

This marked 18 straight midweek wins for the Cavaliers

<p>This is the eleventh straight game the Cavaliers have won over the Colonials — a streak that dates back over a decade.</p>

This is the eleventh straight game the Cavaliers have won over the Colonials — a streak that dates back over a decade.

In a game Tuesday against George Washington, Virginia dominated from the start. The Cavaliers (5-3, 1-2 ACC) scored in all but two turns at-bat, meanwhile, seven of their pitchers would hold the Colonials (0-1, 0-0 Atlantic 10) to zero earned runs.

The first inning opened up with Virginia scoring two unearned runs and giving the team an early lead. In the second, sophomore infielder Max Cotier hit a ball that would bounce off the ground, leaving ample time for sophomore outfielder Chris Newell to run in and plate another run. Cotier and Newell were quite the duo last season, and it’s clear that their mojo on the field is just as potent as ever.

George Washington’s only run of the day — an unearned one, at that — came during the fourth inning. Virginia fired right back at the bottom of the inning with a triple from senior outfielder Brendan Rivoli. Shortly after, he would score off an RBI from Newell.

Up by three heading into the fifth, the Cavaliers just kept going. Graduate catcher Logan Michaels knocked in an RBI double and senior first baseman Alex Tappen ripped an RBI single — scoring two total runs and making the score 6-1 in favor of Virginia.

In the seventh, the Cavaliers would add another four runs, including one courtesy of an RBI by freshman catcher Kyle Teel — his first hit and RBI of his collegiate career.

Virginia would add one more insurance run in the eighth and finish up 11-1. This is the second time this season the Cavaliers have finished with a double-digit score.

“I thought, collectively, a number of guys to do some good things offensively,” Coach Brian O’Connor said. “Tonight, we had five out of the eight innings [with the leadoff man on] and certainly that makes a difference in your offensive production.”

This weekend, the Cavaliers will hope to keep up the momentum as they head to Tallahassee, Fla. for a big three-game weekend series against Florida State.