No. 8 women’s lacrosse holds off No. 25 Louisville 13-12

The Cavaliers scored a late winner to remain undefeated on the season

<p>Although the Cavaliers allowed the Cardinals to storm back with a late 5-1 run a goal by freshman attacker Maggie Bostain sealed a Virginia win.&nbsp;</p>

Although the Cavaliers allowed the Cardinals to storm back with a late 5-1 run a goal by freshman attacker Maggie Bostain sealed a Virginia win. 

The No. 8 Virginia women’s lacrosse team defeated No. 25 Louisville 13-12 Saturday afternoon at Klockner Stadium. It was a tight match throughout, but the Cavaliers (4-0, 2-0 ACC) held off a late surge from the Cardinals (2-2, 0-1 ACC) to secure the win.

Virginia got off to another quick start, as senior attacker Taylor Regan found junior attacker Lillie Kloak for the opening goal less than two minutes into the game. Louisville would find an answer from freshman attacker Kokoro Nakazawa two minutes later.

The teams would proceed to trade goals until the score read 4-4 with 14:49 remaining in the first half. After a few minutes of scoreless action, freshman midfielder Maggie Bostain scored a pair of goals within a span of three minutes to give the Cavaliers a two-goal lead.

Senior attacker Olivia Schildmeyer and Regan each added a goal before the end of the half to extend Virginia’s lead to 8-4 heading into the break.

Louisville opened the second half strong, as senior attacker Ally Hall scored 56 seconds after halftime. Junior attacker Hannah Morris added another goal a few minutes later to cut Virginia’s halftime lead in half.

Virginia responded with goals from junior midfielder Annie Dyson and freshman midfielder Aubrey Williams to restore its four-goal cushion. Morris scored again for the Cardinals, but junior attacker Ashlyn McGovern tallied her 11th goal of the season for Virginia to give the Cavaliers an 11-7 lead with a little less than 20 minutes remaining.

However, Louisville gained momentum and went on a 5-1 run to tie the game with 12:30 remaining. During that stretch, the Cardinals received two goals apiece from senior midfielder Alex McNicholas and senior midfielder Caroline Blalock, as well as another goal from Morris.

After nearly seven minutes of scoreless action, Bostain finally broke the deadlock for the Cavaliers after she scored with 5:46 remaining. The Cavaliers’ defense held strong for the final five minutes, and Bostain’s goal turned out to be the game-winner.

“It was an important game to win,” Coach Julie Myers said. “The game came down to the wire and by the skin of our teeth we were lucky enough to hold on to this game.”

Bostain and Regan led the Cavaliers with four points apiece. Freshman midfielder Mackenzie Hoeg, Kloak and Williams each scored two goals in the win, while Bostain scored three goals.

Virginia returns to action next Wednesday with a clash against in-state opponent George Mason. The game is set for 5 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium as the Cavaliers will look to win their fifth consecutive game.