Virginia women’s golf finishes second in Windy City Collegiate Classic

The Cavaliers put up a strong team performance with two finishing in the top 10

<p>The Cavaliers celebrate finishing in second in the Windy City Collegiate Classic Tuesday.</p>

The Cavaliers celebrate finishing in second in the Windy City Collegiate Classic Tuesday.

The No. 10 Virginia women’s golf team placed second in the Windy City Collegiate Classic, a two-day tournament at Westmoreland Country Club in Wilmette, Ill. No. 14 Stanford won the tournament with a score of 878, finishing 14 over par. The Cavaliers were not far behind, shooting 22 over par and finishing with a three round score of 886.

Virginia was led by strong performances from senior Riley Smyth and junior Virginia Bossi. Smyth was the top finisher for the Cavaliers, placing fifth after shooting three over par with a score of 219. She had an impressive third round, shooting three under par and recording the second best score of the round. This was Smyth’s eighth career top-10 performance. Bossi shot 220 and finished in seventh with four over par after shooting one over par in the third round. This was the second top-10 finish of her career.

The team performance was rounded out by freshman Amanda Sambach and graduate student Beth Lillie. Sambach shot 226 and finished in 22nd, while Lillie finished 27th with a score of 227. Sophomore Jennifer Cleary finished 55th.

Junior Celeste Valinho, competing as an individual, placed 10th after shooting five over par with a three round total of 221.

Each round had a par of 72, bringing the three round total for an individual to 216. Stanford freshman Rose Zhang topped off the individual leaderboard, shooting four under par and finishing with a three round total of 212.

Team par was 288 per round for a total of 864. Virginia shot 302 during the first round. The Cavaliers improved after getting off to a slow start, following their mediocre first-round performance with 293 in the second round. Virginia came back even stronger in the third round, putting up the best team score in that round. Propelled by the performances of Smyth and Bossi, the Cavaliers shot 291, which helped push them to the number two spot.

Virginia next plays Oct. 18 in the Jackson T. Stephens Cup in Roland, Ark.