Virginia men’s tennis continues its winning streak

The Cavaliers pick up two more conference road wins as the postseason draws near

<p>Virginia secured two wins in Florida and will now look towards a rivalry matchup in Blacksburg.</p>

Virginia secured two wins in Florida and will now look towards a rivalry matchup in Blacksburg.

The No. 8 Virginia men’s tennis team (17-5, 10-0 ACC) retained its position at the top of the Atlantic Coast Conference with another pair of wins on the road. They were able to defeat Florida State (13-8, 9- ACC) Friday and Miami (14-8, 3-6 ACC) Sunday.

Virginia versus Florida State

The Cavaliers started off the weekend by heading to Tallahassee, Fla. for a matchup against the Seminoles at the Scott Speicher Memorial Tennis Center.

Florida State looked strong early with a dominant doubles performance. Their team of freshmen Alex Bulte and Youcef Rihane was able to take down senior Gianni Ross and sophomore Jeffrey von der Schulenberg by a score of 6-0. Similarly, sophomore Iñaki Montes de la Torre and senior Ryan Goetz fell to the Seminoles 6-2 on court one. 

Goetz and Ross were able to rebound in their singles matchups, both picking up wins and giving Virginia a 2-1 lead. However, Rihane scored another point for Florida State on court five, taking down graduate student Bar Botzer in straight sets to tie the match at 2-2.

The Cavaliers were finally able to pull away thanks to singles victories from Montes and sophomore Chris Rodesch, sealing a 4-2 win for Virginia and extending their winning streak to 11 matches.

Virginia versus Miami

The Cavaliers continued their road trip in the same state by traveling down to Coral Gables, Fla. to take on the Hurricanes. They picked up a 6-1 victory at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center to stay undefeated in conference play. 

Virginia was able to win the doubles point this time around, thanks to Montes and Goetz winning on court two and Rodesch and Botzer winning on court one.

The Cavaliers stayed hot as they moved to singles play, racking up points in dominating fashion. Sophomore Alexander Kiefer picked up a 6-1, 6-0 win to start singles off, and he was followed by Ross and Schulenberg picking up similar commanding wins to clinch the victory for Virginia with a score of 4-0.

The remaining courts were played out, and Goetz added another victory to push the score to 5-0. Miami defeated Montes on court one to salvage their lone point of the day, while Rodesch closed out the match to finish the 6-1 Cavalier victory.

With just two games remaining in the regular season, Virginia is incredibly close to locking down their second straight season of undefeated play in the ACC. It is crucial for this team to stay locked in as they eye the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament.

Next up, the Cavaliers will play their final road game of the season against Virginia Tech Wednesday in this year’s edition of the Commonwealth Clash. That match is set to begin at 3 p.m. 

After that, Virginia will close out the regular season at home against Boston College Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.