Women’s golf delivers against Georgia with 5-1 win in match play

The Cavaliers dominated the Bulldogs Sunday after freshman Amanda Sambach and graduate student Beth Lillie competed in the Augusta National Women’s Amateur

<p>Freshman Amanda Sambach competed in the Augusta National Women’s Amateur as well as against Georgia in match play.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman Amanda Sambach competed in the Augusta National Women’s Amateur as well as against Georgia in match play. 

Freshman Amanda Sambach and graduate student Beth Lillie competed in the Augusta National Women’s Amateur in Augusta, Ga. concluding Saturday before the pair helped No. 8 Virginia in a 5-1 victory over No. 27 Georgia Sunday.

Sambach had three birdies and shot a 2-over-74 in the opening round. Due to a rain delay, she had to finish this round Friday morning and went on to shoot a 4-over-76 in the second round to tie for 30th.

This tie put Sambach in a four-person playoff for the final spot in the final round Saturday. She started the playoff with three straight pars knocking out two of her three competitors.

The final hole came down against Germany’s Paula Schulz-Hanssen. Playing the 18th hole, Sambach’s approach shot came up short of the pin causing her to make bogey and lose to Schulz-Hanssen’s par.

Lillie shot a 5-over-77 in both her first and second rounds and did not advance to the third round.

Although both of their tournament play ended Thursday, Sambach and Lillie were able to play a practice round Friday at Augusta National where the final round Saturday would be played.

Sambach and Lillie rejoined their fellow Cavaliers Sunday against Georgia in a one day match play event at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Ga.

In the match play event, Virginia played sound golf to defeat Georgia 5-1.

Georgia gained an early lead in five of the six matches, but the Cavaliers overcame two of these leads by the turn where both teams led in three matches. Virginia gained the lead in every match but one by the final hole.

The Cavalier’s senior Riley Smyth defeated graduate student Alison Crensshaw on the 15th hole up four holes with three to play. Sophomore Rebecca Skoler defeated redshirt senior Zoe Walker on the final hole. 

Lillie overcame junior Candice Mahe with two holes to play, and sophomore Jennifer Cleary won against junior Caterina Don on the 15th. In the final matchup, Sambach was victorious over LoraLie Cowart on the 16th hole.

Georgia was victorious against Virginia in one matchup where junior Celeste Dao beat junior Celeste Valinho. This match lasted until the 18th hole, but Dao came away with the win after an impressive day of putting, including a 30-footer on hole 16.

This was the Cavaliers first match play event and ended their regular season. Virginia will continue their play at the ACC championships starting April 14 at the Reserve Golf Club in Pawleys Island, S.C.