NAACP responds to vandalism reported along Dawson’s Row

UPD discovered broken window panes of a building

The University Police Department responded to a report of vandalism Friday morning on Dawson’s Row, per a community alert sent by Timothy Longo, chief of the University Police Department and vice president for security and safety. Dawson’s Row has been home to the Office of African American Affairs since it was built in 1976. 

The info was shared via a “General Communication” and reported that an unknown individual or group broke two window panes of a building with two rocks. UPD is currently investigating whether other incidents of vandalism also occurred on Grounds. 

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People at U.Va. released a statement condemning the vandalism, emphasizing the important role the OAAA has played in providing support, mentorship and comfort to Black students at the University. 

“We are all part of OAAA, adding on to its legacy and continuously pushing it forward,” the statement reads. “So amid these challenging times, we stand by OAAA, we stand together and we stand in power.”