No. 6 Virginia women’s tennis defeats Louisville in a dominant performance

The Cavaliers only dropped one point in the 6-1 victory

<p>The Cavaliers dominated Louisville in Sunday's match, with four of the five singles points earned by Virginia came in straight sets.</p>

The Cavaliers dominated Louisville in Sunday's match, with four of the five singles points earned by Virginia came in straight sets.

No. 6 Virginia women’s tennis traveled to Louisville Sunday to play at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in a quick turnaround from their Friday match at Notre Dame. However, the turnaround did not appear to phase the Cavaliers (10-2, 2-0 ACC), as they easily defeated the unranked Cardinals (4-5, 0-2 ACC) 6-1.

To kick off the day, the teams faced off in doubles competition, in which Virginia was soundly victorious. First up, the Cavalier duo of junior Elaine Chervinsky and sophomore Meggie Navarro took on Louisville freshman duo Ibifuro Clement and Berta Miret on the third court. Chervinsky and Navarro took care of Clement and Miret, beating them 6-0.

Virginia then clinched the doubles point on court one when the No. 17 squad of graduate student Natasha Subhash and senior Hibah Shaikh beat senior Lillian Mould and sophomore Jamilah Snells in a 6-1 victory. 

Moving on to singles, Virginia got off to a quick start when No. 65 Chervinsky defeated Louisville junior Allie Gretkowski on court five. The straight-set victory of 6-0 and 6-1 handed the Cavaliers their second point of the match. No. 113 sophomore Annabelle Xu earned Virginia another straight-set victory on court two, defeating Mould 6-4 and 6-1 to give the Cavaliers a 3-0 victory, making it look easy.

The Cardinals briefly found life on court six when Miret defeated freshman Blanca Pico Navarro in a 6-4, 6-1 victory. However, whatever spark this may have given Louisville was immediately stamped out when No. 20 Shaikh beat Snells on court one in yet another straight-set victory for Virginia.

In what seemed inevitable, Virginia clinched the victory when Subhash defeated freshman Lika Peresypkina on court three. Due to time constraints, the match came down to a 10-point tiebreaker, which Subhash won 11-9 after the first two sets went 5-7 and 6-1. 

Virginia has been steadily rising in the national rankings all season, starting out the season ranked 12th. Their only two losses have come at the hands of No. 2 Michigan, and they will work to keep it that way. Last year, the Cavaliers only dropped three matches to ACC opponents, and while they are currently undefeated in the conference, there are tough opponents still to come.

The Cavaliers will play Friday when they travel to Atlanta to take on Georgia Tech. The match is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m., when Virginia will look to keep its conference streak alive.