Virginia track and field puts on excellent performances across three meets

The Cavaliers continued to break records and make their way onto all-time lists as they work towards ACC Indoor Championships

<p>The Cavaliers' Distance Medley Relay team smashed the program record Saturday, turning in a time of 10:52.22.</p>

The Cavaliers' Distance Medley Relay team smashed the program record Saturday, turning in a time of 10:52.22.

Virginia track and field was back in action Friday and Saturday, this time representing the Cavaliers across three different meets — the Eagle Elite Invitational and the David Hemery Valentine Invitational in Boston and the Tiger Paw Invitational in Clemson, S.C. Virginia only continued to climb as it broke school and personal records, some of which the Cavaliers had just set the previous week, showcasing excellent momentum as they set their sights on the ACC Indoor Championships next week. 

Eagle Elite Invitational

Day One

The standout performance of the day came from sophomore Gary Martin, who ran an incredible time of 3:54.73 in the men’s mile to set a school record in the event, placing him second in the ACC and 12th in the NCAA indoor performance rankings.

Senior Shane Cohen kept the momentum going for the Cavalier men at the Invitational, winning his heat in the 800-meter event at 1:49.06 to snag a personal-best time and place him fifth on the Virginia all-time indoor performers list in the event. Freshman Alex Leath did the same, running 1:49.10 to win his heat — beating his personal best time by over two seconds — and make his way onto the all-time indoor performers list. 

Day Two

The women continued to impress on day two of competition, as a team of Workman, Hock, senior Alahna Sabbakhan and junior Margot Appleton highlighted the distance medley relay. The quartet turned in a run of 10:52.22 to smash the Virginia record in the event, a mark they had just set a few weeks ago in Pennsylvania by over three seconds. This stellar time places the Cavaliers sixth on the 2024 NCAA Division I Indoor qualifying list — the top 12 teams at the end of the season will compete at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

David Hemery Valentine Invitational

Day One

The women put down impressive performances for the Cavaliers elsewhere in Boston at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational. Graduate student Maggie Hock kicked things off fantastically on day one, as she placed second in her heat and 20th overall in a field of 304 women in the 800-meter event. She ran a time of 2.05.52, the third-fastest time in Virginia history and under half a second off her personal best. Senior Keara Seasholtz also impressed, running 2:07.72 to place 36th overall and record a top-10 all-time Virginia performance. Senior Anna Workman excelled, too, running 4:34.12 in the mile to place third amongst collegiate runners in a stacked first heat and 9th overall in a field of 318 women. Freshman Tatum David finished eighth in her heat, clocking 4:45.10 to make her way into the top-5 all-time performances by Virginia freshmen. Junior Jenny Schilling wrapped up the day in impressive fashion as she ran 16:15.08 in the 5000-meter event to put her fourth on the Virginia all-time performers list. 

Day Two

The men put down strong performances for the Cavaliers on day two of competition, as Martin kicked things off with a remarkable display of range, running the 800-meter event in 1:48.71 to record the fourth-fastest time in Virginia indoor history. 

Junior Nathan Mountain continued this success, placing second in his heat of the mile. His time of 3:58.16 is a personal best and places him sixth on the Virginia all-time performers list. Sophomore Will Anthony also made his way onto the all-time performers list with a fourth-place finish in his heat in 3:58.39, going under four minutes for the first time in his running career. 

Tiger Paw Invitational

Day One

Virginia’s field athletes began a solid first day in Clemson at the Tiger Paw Invitational with a mark of 17.71 meters in the weight throw by junior Bree Lumpkin. Junior Jordan Hardy kept this momentum going with a good performance in the women’s long jump, jumping 6.01 meters to place 11th overall.  

Day Two

The field events saw slightly more success on day two, with junior Brooke Lumpkin kicking things off for the Cavaliers by coming third in the women’s shot put with a throw of 15.48 meters. Hardy also jumped 12.86 meters to place seventh overall in the women’s triple jump. 

The action continued on the track as a quartet of junior Alex Sherman, sophomore Evans White IV, freshman Gage Gose and sophomore Jaden Lyons raced to a 3:12.19 finish in the men’s 4x400-meter relay to record the fourth-fastest time in Virginia indoor history.

The sprinters also found success in the individual events, as sophomore Sarah Akpan finished third in her heat of the women’s 200-meter event, running 23.69 seconds to secure the third-fastest time in Virginia history. White also placed third in his heat of the men’s 200 meters, running a personal-best time of 21.88 seconds in doing so.

Altogether, this weekend saw a host of impressive performances, and it is clear that the Cavaliers are putting the pieces together as they prepare for the ACC Indoor Championships, Feb. 22-24, and the NCAA Championships in March. 

The Cavaliers look to continue this upward trajectory this weekend as they once again send teams to compete in three different meets. The Arkansas Qualifier in Fayetteville, Ark. and the Terrier DMR Challenge in Boston will take place Friday, and the Virginia Tech Challenge in Blacksburg will take place Friday and Saturday.