LETTER: It is critical to hold individual hazers accountable

A response to the April 25th editorial “Scapegoating students will not stop hazing”

<p>Above all else, holding anyone involved in hazing responsible for their actions, or inactions, is critical.&nbsp;</p>

Above all else, holding anyone involved in hazing responsible for their actions, or inactions, is critical. 

In contrast to what the April 25 editorial implied, it is critical to hold individuals who engage in hazing accountable for their actions. This is an essential step in preventing future hazing activities. Moreover, the University is actually doing a good job with education and has a great hazing prevention resource in the Gordie Center.

Unfortunately, hazing is prevalent throughout society and begins long before students enter college. In fact, 47% of incoming college students were exposed to hazing before matriculation. Hazing activities can be found anywhere where there is a differing power dynamic between people who are a part of the in-group and those trying to join it. 

As is frequently shown, hazing is quite prevalent in relation to college Greek life organizations — a 2008 study found that 73% of students involved in social fraternities or sororities experienced hazing behaviors. However, in reality, hazing occurs in all types of organizations including varsity athletics, club sports, marching bands, and others. In fact, the same 2008 study found that hazing is actually more prevalent in varsity athletic programs than Greek life organizations. Overall, 55% of college students involved in clubs, teams and organizations experienced hazing.

Because of the prevalence of hazing, it is abundantly clear that organizations and schools should have clear policies on hazing. They should work to educate students on this topic and build a culture of transparency and trust. They should also provide clear methods for reporting potential hazing activity and act upon those reports to address the behavior. While you may not realize it, I know that national fraternities have spent enormous resources dealing with the prevalence of hazing. They educate students about the dangers of hazing, how to intervene to prevent it and how to support a student who has been the victim of hazing. 

But while education is absolutely integral to hazing prevention, we must also hold individuals accountable for their hazing behavior. They are the ones who decide to break the rules in a way that possibly brings mental or physical harm to other students.

To address individual accountability, the Hazing Prevention Network is part of the Anti-Hazing Coalition which advocates for stricter state criminal laws and federal laws to increase transparency and education around hazing on college campuses. Key to our coalition’s model state legislation is strengthening penalties for individuals — particularly where hazing has caused serious injuries or death. 

At the end of the day, hazing education is essential. Reporting hazing is important. But above all else, holding anyone involved in hazing responsible for their actions, or inactions, is critical so students see that the issue is taken seriously and quickly addressed.

Todd Shelton is executive director of the Hazing Prevention Network which is dedicated to empowering people to prevent hazing.