The visibility of pantyhose

A few weeks ago, I went to Target to purchase some pantyhose for upcoming job interviews. I entered the store feeling optimistic, looking forward to getting my life in order. Forty minutes later, however, I emerged feeling dazed and confused, hose clutched tightly in my hand.

The experience had been incredibly overwhelming. Two steps into the pantyhose aisle, I realized that I had severely underestimated the difficulty of my task. Facing row after row of tiny boxes stuffed with nylon tights, my head spun. Did I want sheer or nude? Control top or active flex? Silken Mist or Body Beautiful? The ridiculousness of the names did nothing to lessen the confusion I felt in the face of infinite options. And forget about figuring out what size I needed; the chart on the back of the box reminded me of my ninth-grade algebra class. What happened to straightforward numbers? Suddenly I'm choosing between size AA and Q?

I spent far more time than necessary agonizing about these decisions, picking up boxes of hose only to swap them with others, biting my lip as I paced the hosiery aisle. I must have looked psychotic; I could hardly blame mothers for holding their children more tightly as they passed me on the way to get socks. Finally, I managed to pick a pair of hose, which of course looked identical in color, style and size to every other option I had considered, paid the $3 and headed on my way.

Once outside the windowless, super-sized store, I felt a little foolish. Had I just spend almost an hour buying tights that I would wear maybe four times this spring? The anguish I'd felt in the store facing row after row of hosiery lifted, I realized the absurdity of the situation.

At the same time, I recognized that the bewildering sense of near-panic I'd experienced in Target had to do with more than just too many pantyhose choices. What was really bothering me was that selecting the right pair seemed important for my interviews, and that I need my interviews to go well to secure a job after graduation. I am nervous and anxious not about whether I should get nude or sheer hose, but about what my future holds.

Like many fourth-year students, I don't have a job lined up yet, and the stress is starting to show. With many of my friends receiving acceptance letters to graduate schools in the mail and jobs offers on the phone recently, the realization that my future is completely up in the air has been hitting hard. I can't help but feel a twinge of jealousy mixed in with my happiness for them. They know what they're doing next year. They have a plan. I, on the other hand, do not.

I know that the color of my pantyhose will make absolutely no difference to whether I get a job . But I also know that I'm facing a really tough job market right now, and that my r

Published March 29, 2010 in Life

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Samael
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Aw, Keely, I think I love you. Will you marry me?

Paul
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

So what color did you get? I think Nude would have been a great start. Leggs sheer comfort are a great choice. Hope you get a job...

Will
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

I think Nude is a classy an attractive color for a job interview. Good luck on your job interview!

Aurora
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Just wearing pantyhose at all will set you apart in your interviews as being more polished, finished, put-together, and professional than most. Keep it up after you get the job, even if few others do; you'll elevate the tone and provide positive peer pressure without saying a word. I can't count how many bare-legged flip-flop wearers show up at my office. And once you find a brand and style that is comfortable, you can just make it your routine, so the buying process is less confusing. It's worth it to spend more up front and buy a high-lyrca blend; they're more comfortable, you'll get fewer picks and snags, and they'll last longer, especially if you pre-wash them in Hosiery Mate. Still, never buy just one pair at a time; that makes fear of runs crippling, and a run a disaster. Buy several at a time at least, and have one in your car, one at your desk, one even in your purse or briefcase. The relaxed confidence is well worth it.

Jasin
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

I have to disagree with you, pantyhose can affect if you get a job. Turn off your safe search filter in google and type in "pantyhose" and you'll see that most of the links are to pantyhose fetish sites. Pantyhose are the #1 fetish that dosn't have anything to do with a body part (other than the legs and feet covering them). Wearing pantyhose with shoes that show alot of foot and most men will hire you over a woman that shows up bare legged. It dosn't stop there, many men will go out of their way to help you if you are wearing pantyhose even if they don't realize that's why they are helping. I've watched my wife manipulate most of the men in her office for years doing this :)