Jun 27, 2017

H&S

Promising Future for Type I Diabetes Vaccine

Type 1 diabetes, or juvenile diabetes, has long mystified scientists. Although research during the last few decades pinpointed its cause - the autoimmune attack of insulin-secreting beta cells in the pancreas - its prevention has remained a mystery. The use of nano-engineered vaccines, however, may finally offer clues to preventing this disease that affects nearly 1 million people in the United States.

Dr. Pere Santamaria at the University of Calgary has led a team of his colleagues in the development of a vaccine that may prevent the occurrence of the disease in humans. The nanovaccine, which targets so-called 'weak t-cells' that wrongly signal the body's immune system to attack the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas, works in mice to prevent or even reverse the symptoms of Type 1 diabetes.

Researchers at the Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh already have begun phase I human clinical trials to determine the safety of this nanovaccine. If successful, phase II trials will look at its efficacy at restoring insulin production in children with Type 1 diabetes. Similar nano-engineered vaccines also may prove useful with the treatment of other autoimmune disorders like arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

-compiled by Andrew Matz

Published April 21, 2010

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Tim Payne
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Our daughter is 12 years old and has lived with Type 1 diabetes for a little more than 10 years of her short life. Type 1 places so many demands on the life of our daughter and our family, both mentally and physically. A cure for Type 1 diabetes would simply be an incredible miracle for the entire world to share!

God Bless the scientists and the families involved in these clinical trials.

Janet Ottman
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Our son is 14 and was diagnosed in July of 2009 with Type 1 diabetes, it has causes a dramatic change in his life and ours physically and mentally as well. He is in a clinical study to see if this vaccine will will help slow the process down of damaging the cells. I hope that they find a cure soon so that all these children will not have to suffer anymore. God Bless everyone who has had a hand in finding a Cure.

FLORENTINO GUTIERREZ
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Our son 1s 5 years old and has diabetes since december 2007, the life for my son and my family have changed physcally and mentally. I've been reading that the cure for Type 1 diabetes is around the corner, I beg for a miracle to find a cure for Type 1 diabetes so many childrens and families will not suffer anymore.

God bless scientists and people to help to find a cure for Type 1 diabetes

Mayank Pareek
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Our doughter is only 2yrs old and diagnosed in 11th August 2009. Everything changed after this. Prarying for a confirmed early cure.

Jane Doe
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

I have had diabetes for my entire life, and I definitely want a cure. I would like to say, though, that more than three million people within the United States alone suffer from this horrible disease. I hope that the researchers find a cure soon! Good luck to all in clinical trials.

Keith Lumry
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

I learned my nine year old daughter has type one diabetes three days ago. My wife, my daughter and my son are still in shock.

The work of these scientists and the people who have struggled and lived with this disease give us courage and hope.

Nan Luther
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

My 27 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 13. It was a life changing event for the whole family. My son still struggles daily with the highs and lows. A cure for this disease would be a blessing to so many. I pray daily for a cure.

Bobby
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

It was discovered back in 2001 that the T-Cells are the cuase for the autoimmune problem which was the cause for type 1 diabetes by Dr. Faustman. She discovered that once the T-Cells where stopped from entering the blood stream that the insulin producing cells came back and she was the first to cure type 1 diabete in mice. She did this by using a generic drug, since the sure was cheap no one want to fund her research. Since she found the root of the problem I have noticed that there have been two other companies that have found a cure but are using a means that would have a much higher cost to cure than Faustman's cure. Faustman Labs has been trying to raise the funds for phase II testing, their phase I went without a problem.

Either ways I'll take a cure it will just mean my insurance will be paying more.

kristin hensel
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Hi our son is 14 almost 15 and his dream is to go into the military but unfortunately his dream was gone when he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in December 2005.That day will never be forgotten he has lost part of his childhood but is grateful to be alive and breathing. Our question is can he become a part of the clinical trials? We would give up everything we have to give him back a full loving childhood without taking insulin everyday.Thanks for listening and we enjoyed reading all of the blogs god bless all of your families and you will all definitely be kept in prayer.\n Sincerely,\n Calvin's loving mom Kristin Hensel

Ryan
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

I am 26 years old. I was diagnosed when I was 22; shortly after graduating from college. I am grateful that I had not been diagnosed earlier in my life and was able to live a normal lifestyle through my college years. I cannot imagine what my childhood would have been like if I were diagnosed at a younger age. A cure would change the lives of so many unfortunate children, allowing them the childhood that I was blessed to have. This breakthrough would certainly be a miracle. Stay possitive!

All Content © Copyright 2017, The Cavalier Daily