NEWS

Police investigate Zeta Psi pledging

Administration looks into possible hazing incident involving first-year student

A first-year College student pledging Zeta Psi fraternity was hospitalized March 1 after consuming a bottle of soy sauce at the Zeta Psi house, according to court documents. Investigations into whether the incident constitutes hazing are ongoing.

"University Police has the case, but the administration is also conducting an investigation," University spokesperson Carol Wood said, adding that officials could not comment on active investigations.

The student was brought to Martha Jefferson Hospital at about 2:15 a.m. He was seizing and foaming at the mouth at that time, according to a search warrant affidavit. He was treated for an electrolyte imbalance caused by the high sodium content of soy sauce. He later was transported to the intensive care ward at the University Medical Center, and spent four days in the hospital before being released, The Daily Progress reported.

Brothers from Zeta Psi gave University Police Sgt. Daniel Stuart additional details about the incident, the affidavit states.

Fraternity members dared the student to drink an entire bottle of soy sauce. After drinking the soy sauce, the student was found seizing upstairs in the fraternity house, according to the affidavit.

Pledges were served a meal consisting of dog food, matzo balls and gefilte fish that same night, The Daily Progress reported.

The Inter-Fraternity Council is currently refraining from taking action.

"The IFC is aware of an incident involving Zeta Psi. We are fully cooperating with an ongoing police investigation and do not plan to take action until their investigation concludes," IFC President Neil Holby said in an e-mail statement.

Wood issued a statement last Thursday which said police and University officials have not yet determined if Zeta Psi members engaged in hazing.

"If found guilty, students are subject to criminal penalties and also University judiciary processes that impose separate penalties, up to and including expulsion from the University," she said in the statement.

Hazing means "to recklessly or intentionally endanger the health or safety of a student or students ... regardless of whether the student or students so endangered or injured participated voluntarily in the relevant activity," according to Virginia law, which defines the act as a misdemeanor.

Even if an action does not constitute hazing under Virginia law, the Office of the Dean of Students may file charges with the University Judiciary Committee for any alleged violation of University policy.

The Office of the Dean of Students will await results of the police investigation before proceeding further, Wood said in her statement.

"All allegations of hazing are treated seriously and investigated thoroughly," Assoc. Dean of Students Francis Laushway said.

In November 2002, Zeta Psi was investigated by the IFC on charges of disorderly conduct after pictures surfaced of fraternity members in blackface at a Halloween party. The IFC found the fraternity not guilty, citing that their actions fell under constitutionally protected free speech.

In April 2006, the IFCJC found Zeta Psi guilty of holding an unsanctioned rush event in fall 2005 and recommended the IFC Presidents' Council remove recognition of the fraternity. The Council did not follow the recommendation.

Zeta Psi President Hugh Carter did not respond to an e-mail request for comment.

Published March 15, 2011 in News

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Russ Tyler
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

It seems the brains over at the cav daily could not figure out that IFC president Neil Holby is also a member of Zeta Psi- real crack work fellas. Conflict of interests would be an understatement here.

Ray Mund
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Only the best and the brightest. \nScratch the sweet n sour alpo from the next IFC cookbook.

Sean
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

No surprise at all here that UVA Greeks nearly killed yet another of their own, this time with dog food and soy sauce. No surprise either that these guys put the life of their "brother" second to their wish not to get caught by taking him farther away to the Martha Jefferson ER rather than to the one at UVA hospital. Two weeks for this to become a news story, huh?

I actually see progress here, and a silver lining - at least in terms of the coverage. I think we are seeing the first fruits of HB 2490 in the State Assembly - although that just tried to force reporting of deaths and rapes to local police. I think the mere fact that any of us are reading about this at all is due to President Sullivan being in charge now, rather than Casteen. Or they may have tried to get UVA police to come to Martha Jeff and not Charlottesville police, but maybe that didn't work..

Close call
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Without knowing all the details, it certainly seems that a 911 call would have been prudent. The student and all involved are very lucky that this life-threatening experience did not result in a fatality.

DMike
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

SPE got kicked off for a lot less than this. It will be interesting to see if nepotism in the form of IFC Prez Holby can save them

Ann
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Fraternities are a disgrace.

What at all is redeeming about feeding people dog food and soy sauce?

Are there really individuals still that immature attending our national University?

How on earth did they ever get in? I'm sure there are plenty of other upstanding individuals that were denied admission who would never practice such dumb behavior. I'm sure they were all legacy or athletes. Thats the only explanation for admitting such children.

Also, im sure there are plenty of other hazing incidents just like this one that went unreported.

Mitch
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Anne, \nWay to make blanket statements and assumptions to discredit yourself. \nYes, eating dog food and drinking a bottle of soy sauce is not redeeming. However, taking this one incident and extending it to all fraternities and the UVA admissions department is unwarranted and just plain wrong. \nFraternities and sororities account for am exorbitant amount of community service around college campuses. UVA is one of the top public universities in the nation, and I'm positive they didn't get that way by asking "Do you eat dog food?" on the application.

Mitch - Virginia Tech graduate

John Q.
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

There are certainly many stupid aspects and traditions that still surround fraternities and sororities, no arguments there, but they are an integral part of many colleges around the country. Many people are quick to dismiss young men in fraternities, but I am sure if someone checked the annual giving by alumni, they would be surprised to find that fraternity alumni give the most back to their colleges and probably UVa. JPJ was donated by a former SAE.

Ann
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Wow. Fraternities are responsible for a lot of giving? Jeez. That should make up for the rapes and deaths that occur each year at the hand of fraternity brothers r. What a wonderful community service they do scarring some woman perhaps for the rest of their lives and killing their "brothers". But its OKAY because it only happens once in a while and not every day. One fraternity at U.Va - I won't name names - has a tradition of pouring buckets of water on top of girls who qualify as one night stands as they leave the fraternity house the next morning. Many of these girls have probably been raped. Yea, I got to say, these individuals are real upstanding citizens. And once again, Ill reiterate that a lot of these "gentleman" most likely had connections, have a lot of money or are athletes.

John Q.
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Ann, you are an extremely ignorant or jaded person from your experience with fraternities. If I understand you correctly you are saying that fraternity men are responsible for a lot raping and killing. That is an absurd statement and one which you cannot support. If a male, who is also a member of a fraternity, commits rape (which is terrible) does that mean that all fraternity men do the same? The answer is no, your type of analogy is extremely faulty. It would be the same as saying that if a Hispanic, or African-American, or other minority group (fraternities at UVA are now the minority) committed an atrocious act, then all members of that particular group must do the same. My point above was not that giving money back allows them to act foolishly or commit crimes, but simply to show a positive aspect about fraternity alumni that people such as yourself often.

Lastly, you said "many of these girls have probably been raped," words alone cannot express how ignorant of a statement that is.

John Q.
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

One last thing Ann, I am confused what you mean by saying these men either have money, connections, or are athletes. Do you mean that is why that got into fraternities or that is why they got into the University, or both? There are many fraternities whose members are neither athletes nor have money or connections. Moreover there are many people that get into Universities that are neither athletes nor have or connections. Im pretty sure money cannot get you into either. Moreover, you are saying that athletes and people with connections get into UVA, join fraternities, then rape and kill. Again, wow! If ignorance is bliss then you must be typing from heaven.

Ann
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

It is a fact that many women are raped in fraternities and this fact is a direct result of fraternity brothers and the culture in fraternity houses. It is also widespread knowledge that fraternity members are frequently involved in the sexual assaults of women. And yes John, one brother "raping" a woman does reflect on the other men in the fraternity. Often times, brothers have egged on or even watched women getting raped and done nothing. It is also a fact that young men die every year from situations like the one above. Fact. Look it up and do some research.

In fact John, when I said

Sean
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

I agree with you about 80% Ann. But, lets face it, the teenage girls from the dorms will continue to line up around the corner to get into those frat houses to drink and compete for guys with the slightly older girlfriends thereof.

Like lambs to the slaughter..

Ride the trolley tomorrow night about 9 or 10 pm from the dorms to the corner. Or the next night. Or the night after that. I think you'll see what I mean.

recent grad
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Ann,

Did you actually attend the University of Virginia? Do you actually know any men in fraternities there? I can't comment on what happens at other schools (or what happened in past decades) - but as a very recent graduate and fraternity man, I am appalled by your "knowledge" of the current Greek system.

"Many women every year and every weekend are date raped, pumped with alcohol or sexually assaulted at fraternity houses."

-Never once did I see or hear of rape or sexual assault happen at my fraternity house. If I had, I would have stepped in immediately, as my brothers would have. Once a guest (a male student who was not in a fraternity who was at one of our parties) tried to take a young woman who had too much to drink home with him - I personally made sure her friends took her home, kicked him out of the party, and made it clear to him that he was no longer welcome anywhere near the house. Any weirdos who I thought would be capable of anything like that were not given bids.

"A woman who is drinking cannot give consent."

There is certainly a level of inebriation past which you cannot give consent (as in the above scenario). However, if my girlfriend and I share of bottle of wine in the evening, it's ridiculous to say she can't consent. Can a man consent if he's been drinking?

The charge that every woman who has sex with a guy at a fraternity is raped because she may have had something to drink is ludicrous. In that case, every woman who has ever gone home with someone from a bar was raped.\nIn my experience, at fraternity parties girls who were quite drunk were sent home with their friends. Besides the fact that it would be wrong and revolting to do anything with them, there were plenty of girls who were willing and didn't have an excessive amount to drink.

I'm not saying women have never been raped at fraternities - unfortunately rape is a serious problem and happens across all social strata. But to suggest that rape is widespread and tolerated at fraternities, which it is certainly not, hurts efforts to combat rape and men who perpetuate it. The reality is that there are some men out there who feel entitled to sex and have no care for the feeling of others. There are men like this in every social strata - they are no more likely to be involved in Greek life at UVA.

"the rapes and deaths that occur each year at the hand of fraternity brothers"

The tragic murders perpetrated by UVA students during my time at UVa were commited by a lacrosse player (no greek affiliation) murdered his ex-girlfriend and an echols scholar (no greek affiliation) killed his father. I don't think being in a fraternity changes the likelihood of one committing murder (Though I think it's certainly possible someone who is disturbed enough to do so would have less of a chance of being accepted into a fraternity).

jeff
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

"Pledges were served a meal consisting of dog food, matzo balls and gefilte fish that same night, The Daily Progress reported." So they were served dog food with Jewish food. Were they Jewish or was this an anti-semitic antic?

Rory
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

1. This Ann person, in all likelihood, has never stepped foot in a fraternity and is relying solely on hardcore anti male Feminist literature. I once read a chapter in one of my girlfriend's socioloogy books on women's issues that dealt with fraternities and fraternity culture. It painted a rather sickening picture and bore little resemblance to my fraternity and my brothers. If literature of that type is what she is basing her opinions on than it's not hard to see how she holds such extreme views. The reality that strong, intelligent, independent women voluntarily and repeatedly go to fraternity houses and associate, trust, date, and even marry fraternity men must be puzzling to her. Those women must not have read the proper books.

2. 'Fraternity members dared the student to drink an entire bottle of soy sauce.'

"dared"...haha I'm sure that is exactly what happened. I wonder if Zet can weather this storm, this chapter seems to be somewhat bulletproof. Lots of $$$ seems to do that for ya

3. Sean is a 43 year old male with no association with the university. Although his comment "Like lambs to the slaughter" was pretty funny. Sean, we're all glad you take so much interest in female undergraduates and their well being. Maybe you and Ann should get together in person to discuss ways of helping them.

4. Jeff-I'm guessing they just tried to find what they thought was gross food and that there was no anti-semitic angle.

Sean
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Rory, have you ever stopped to consider, while taking such a great interest in me personally, that I would perhaps not be so involved with the debate regarding human rights and scientific honesty at UVA had at least one UVA student not taken such a great interest in me a coupla years ago? Indeed, I would probably have remained ignorant to what is going on at UVA had she not fell victim to it.

And while my interaction with her or any of the other UVA students I have lived with or drank with - among other things - does not directly make me a part of the UVA community, I am indeed associated with the University at present whether you or the UVA administration like it or not. And I can and will have an opinion as to what needs some urgent attention at UVA. In this case, I am gratified that this story actually got covered. A year ago, Casteen & co. would have simply covered it up. That this story appears at all (two weeks later) is in and of itself a sign progress and improvement around here.

I choose not to attend UVA, Rory. I choose not to directly fund an elective abortion provider that lies to its own students about grave threats to their health and well being on behalf of a partisan political agenda. My "lambs to the slaughter" comment is also applicable to any female student walking in the front doors of Elson Student Death Center.

I could enter UVA any time I wanted to via the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement with PVCC now that I have earned my second degree with honors.\nGot that? But while I choose not to enroll at UVA, my involvement therewith is now a matter of public record.

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/03/17/university-of-virginia-vcu-have-done-abortions-for-20-years/

I had a chat with the UVA president's office last week, and will be doing so again quite soon. In case that article - the first of many in the coming days on blogs and in newspapers - chased you away at the first paragraph and you missed the link, I'll remind you of my involvement with UVA in a very straightforward way here:

http://www.uvalies.org/initiative

You know what, Rory - one of the gals pictured with me is a UVA undergraduate named Ann! I'll have to ask her this weekend if she has been commenting on the frat/alpo story in the Cav Daily. Maybe you'll be getting your wish after all!

That being said, I LOVE matzo balls - especially in chicken broth. But I generally prefer an Indian hot curry to soy sauce.

Peacemaker
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

can't we all just get along?

Rory
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Sean, nothing gives you the right to constantly attack, insult, smear, and misrepresent others on a regular basis like you do on this site. Nothing gives you the right to troll this paper daily just waiting for any opportunity to post inflammatory comments on all sorts of Cav Daily articles.

As for me, I will never respond to anything you say ever again. Once is more than enough.

Sean
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Thanks for that white flag, Rory. Very unbecoming for an Irishman. Your inability to debate issues has you screaming for the censors, like so many others. The inability to debate topics and the resulting appeal to censorship is really an embarrassment to a famous school like UVA, and should be taken as such. "Please, make it go away" is about the only response me or my colleagues at UVA have encountered thusfar. But I can assure you that the snowball has just begun to roll.

I think at least part of your anger with me is that I have been the one spotlighting how much fraternities at UVA were getting away with. And now you and yours have to adjust to a new regime in Madison Hall that is no longer going to play that game with any of you, as this story appearing clearly shows. Change has already come to UVA, and a lot more of it is on the way. Whether or not you like any of it is irrelevant.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/13974539/uva-woman-who-reported-rape-wants-change?redirected=true

Words cannot start fires, Rory. And information cannot hurt you. If you would prefer that people remain ignorant to facts, so be it. It won't change anything that is happening now at your school. Every burned book enlightens the world, and even a tiny spark of truth can burn down a city of lies. So in that sense I suppose the words written by me and my colleagues are indeed inflamatory. You're just a bit bitter and angry because you know that you will be unable to put out the fire now that is has started.

Stephanie
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

"In this case, I am gratified that this story actually got covered. A year ago, Casteen & co. would have simply covered it up. That this story appears at all (two weeks later) is in and of itself a sign progress and improvement around here."

Sean, I hope someday you will realize that The Cavalier Daily is not controlled by University administration nor does The Cavalier Daily work as some sort of PR agency for U.Va. In fact, the editors and writers for The Cavalier Daily are rarely part of the stereotypical U.Va. sort you so often allude to.

Sean
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Their bias is self inflicted, Stephanie, It's how they manage to avoid covering their own being arrested downtown while promoting sustainable population reduction in Mexico.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/117939559.html

Cute couple, huh?

Steve
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

Sean says: "Thanks for that white flag, Rory. Very unbecoming for an Irishman."

Nice. Way to completely and randomly attack someone based on his or her name and pigeonhole him or her into a neat little stereotype to make your point. I'd expect more from a self-professed Republican. (At least, according to your Facebook page - you do enjoy watching Fox News, after all...)

Why the change in profile picture? Is it so more of these college girls apparently completely incapable of making their own decisions will see you and think that you're their age, and seek you out to complete the coed sexual fantasies you never got to live out in your own undergrad years? Heaven forbid they go two clicks further to see pictures in which you're tagged to find out that - gasp! - valiant Sean, champion of the oppressed, is in fact a dour-faced old man with the perpetual frown of the misunderstood on his face. They won't, since they're too drunk or fraternity-obsessed to get that far. I imagine some young woman smiling over your picture, only to be pulled away by a lustful young man with Greek letters on his sweater whispering in her ear exactly what she wants to hear...

Wait, were we talking about drunk people? From your own profile: "The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does." - Shane MacGowan

Ah, I see now. It's so clear. Thank you, Seamus.

Sean
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

I think somebody's jealous..

I had planned to change my profile picture today, but just for you I will leave my totally awesome one taken during my stellar high school wrestling career up for another 24 hours. You've got a whole additional day to print and afix it to your dartbord or voodoo doll, Anonymous Social Networking Stalker!

As a special added bonus, I have added a poster featuring himself, TJ, and four college girls to the Human Rights and Scientific Honesty Initiative. It can also be seen right on our public facebook group's wall, with tags and all! (you're getting mad now, aren't you ASNS?)

Now that I think of it, there are actually five college girls on my managing board of nine. They can, if they vote as block, reverse any idea or plan I conjur up in my senile, old mind. There were only two image spots left to fill beside the three authors, and none of the dudes sent me their pictures. The competition for the two remaing spots had to be resolved on a first come - first served basis. One of them invited me out for a drink recently, and we went to Trinity Irish Pub - where I was carded at the bar! How's them apples, ASNS?

Since you are clearly obsessed with my private life, ASNS, I can indeed confirm that I have pretty much been put out to pasture like an old mule now with regard to female companionship. I hope that makes you feel a bit better. And you are also correct that my first stint as an undergraduate didn't feature too much success in that category either. Had I stayed in and with my fraternity, that would not have been the case. Indeed, as a pledge with a bid, sexual encouters were being arranged for me and my fellow pledges with the fattest possible members of our sister sorority as an obligation following the pledge dance. This was being done not only as a laugh, but as a way to reward our upper classmen who aspired to get with the more slender members of that sorority. There were others, but this reason alone was enough for me to hand my bid back to my friends and call them out for making such emotionally abusive and ill advised plans. Socially ostracised for my decision, I transfered out of the school two semesters later. I know that things like this are still traditions in Greek life on campuses nationwide.

I know this because my second stint as an undergraduate here in Charlottesville the last few years has been rather more successful with regard to female companionship than my first one was. The UVA women I have been involved with told me about it, and I wasn't surprised to hear that nothing has changed. Indeed, I tip my hat and salute the UVA school of Architecture, and the graduate schools of Nursing and Engineering for having such beautiful and intelligent female students who dared share their time with me. Just walking by those buildings can still bring a smile to this lonely old man's face, ASNS. They were all WAY over my head. Same goes for one very sexy 41 year old member of the UVA faculty. You must be gnashing your teeth now, ASNS, but remember that it was you who was so curious about these things. I'm just trying to help you with your new hobby.

With regard to which TV shows I watch, which is rather difficult since me and my UVA college girl room mate decided not to have to TV in our apartment at all over a year ago, you may also have noticed that I follow NPR and the Huffington Post on facebook also. You have to actually get both sides of a story to understand it, ASNS. As a socialist myself who once voted for Ralph Nader - but never for anyone named Bush - I'm afraid your labelling of me as a republican is just as inaccurate as your presumptions regarding my private life. If we are talking of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Bulmer Hobson, or Michael Gaughan - then indeed I might be so inclined. But I don't think that's where you were going with that one.

I refer you to a video on YouTube named "Uitreiking Draaginsigne gewonden" featuring my best friend in the world - and member of the Dutch Socialist Party - Vincent recieving his military medal in Den Haag, and pinning it to my unofficial niece and nephew also. I think we may just have found somebody that looks even more ridiculous in a tie than I do! I recall wearing his very red socialist party jackett when we bicycled to Elburg last October. I'll have to ask him if any of the photos we took that afternoon feature me wearing it. If so, I could forward them to you for your Sean scrapbook, ASNS. You would have to provide me with a way to do that, however.

Thanks for reminding me of that Shane MacGowan quote, ASNS, and for this wee trip down memory lane too. That boy is Behan reborn if the lyrics to Lorca's Novena are any indication. Here's another for you:

"The British press have been giving me six months to live for the past\ntwenty years they must be getting pissed off interviewing me by now."

I'll pass on your concerns to my female colleagues at our next managing board meeting, ASNS. I'm sure they will find them as humorous as I have.

Billy
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

"He was seizing and foaming at the mouth at that time, according to a search warrant affidavit" and nobody called 911? This should be interesting to watch how this one gets handled by the administration. True Frats do some really good stuff but one incident like this goes a long way towards questioning why they are allowed to be associated with the school.