SPORTS

James Johnson departs from basketball program

Bennett announces freshman forward intends to transfer

For the second time in as many days, Virginia coach Tony Bennett announced that one of his players will leave the Cavalier basketball program. One day after sophomore guard KT Harrell departed, redshirt freshman forward James Johnson told Bennett Saturday that he intends to transfer as well.

"Obviously with KT Harrell yesterday and James today deciding not to continue at Virginia I am disappointed," Bennett said in a statement Saturday. "But with that being said, if James and KT feel it's best for them not to be here I think it's better for everyone to part ways."

Like Harrell, Johnson was a high-profile recruit from Bennett's first signing class at Virginia. The Wildomar, Calif. native averaged 18 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks per game for Elsinore High School and was listed as a Top 100 Recruit by Scout.com and ESPNU before joining the Cavaliers for the 2010-11 season.

Also like Harrell, Johnson struggled to adjust from high school stardom to a more marginal role in college. After redshirting last year at his request, the forward has played just 37 total minutes this season and scored nine points on 0-for-3 shooting from the field.

"Players have always wanted to play

Published December 24, 2011 in Sports

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

lisa
(12/31/69 7:00pm)
Report
Comment

does any one have a way to reach johnson?\nsocial networking ? email ?