NEWS

U.Va. College at Wise hoax-caller arrested

The University’s College at Wise sophomore Bryant Hairston was arrested Monday on a federal criminal complaint charge after he allegedly lied about sighting an armed man on campus. Hairston was charged with one count of “knowingly making false, fictitious and fraudulent statements and representations” last Wednesday, according to an Associated Press release. The 20-year-old’s call to the police, in which he provided details on the alleged gunman’s clothing and location, led University officials to place the campus on lock-down for more than an hour while a search was conducted.

The complaint charge leading to yesterday’s arrest stated Hairston “later admitted to lying about the information given to 911.” FBI as well as state, county, city and campus police are investigating the case, and U.S. Attorney Randy Ramseyer will prosecute.

“We were notified very quickly [during the incident,]” said Elivia Wimmer, a U.Va. Wise junior. “Campus police and our community police did a very good job.”

—compiled by Audrey Waldrop

Published January 29, 2013 in FP test, News

• CLAS93 said:

Chased from your home by a mob, subject to death threats, unable to go to class because your own instructors are so blindly biased -- this is U.Va.? We ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Gordon Westerly said:

"They put themselves in a dangerous position by clearly hurting someone on a level that remains unclear and all the while operating a fraternity that ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• UVa_reader said:

This article should be required reading for faculty and students who rushed to judgment and used the RS article to unleash a torrent of unjustified criticism ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• nanbroga said:

on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Marie said:

Ah, one of the "rape is so serious that even innocence is no defense" crowd speaks! Good morning, President Sullivan!
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi