U.Va. College at Wise hoax-caller arrested

The University’s College at Wise sophomore Bryant Hairston was arrested Monday on a federal criminal complaint charge after he allegedly lied about sighting an armed man on campus. Hairston was charged with one count of “knowingly making false, fictitious and fraudulent statements and representations” last Wednesday, according to an Associated Press release. The 20-year-old’s call to the police, in which he provided details on the alleged gunman’s clothing and location, led University officials to place the campus on lock-down for more than an hour while a search was conducted.

The complaint charge leading to yesterday’s arrest stated Hairston “later admitted to lying about the information given to 911.” FBI as well as state, county, city and campus police are investigating the case, and U.S. Attorney Randy Ramseyer will prosecute.

“We were notified very quickly [during the incident,]” said Elivia Wimmer, a U.Va. Wise junior. “Campus police and our community police did a very good job.”

—compiled by Audrey Waldrop

Published January 29, 2013 in FP test, News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• ari said:

disappointing equivocations throughout this piece. putting "rape," "sexual objectification," "sex crimes," and "sexism" in a two minute read does not ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Treading water

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons