NEWS

U.Va. College at Wise hoax-caller arrested

The University’s College at Wise sophomore Bryant Hairston was arrested Monday on a federal criminal complaint charge after he allegedly lied about sighting an armed man on campus. Hairston was charged with one count of “knowingly making false, fictitious and fraudulent statements and representations” last Wednesday, according to an Associated Press release. The 20-year-old’s call to the police, in which he provided details on the alleged gunman’s clothing and location, led University officials to place the campus on lock-down for more than an hour while a search was conducted.

The complaint charge leading to yesterday’s arrest stated Hairston “later admitted to lying about the information given to 911.” FBI as well as state, county, city and campus police are investigating the case, and U.S. Attorney Randy Ramseyer will prosecute.

“We were notified very quickly [during the incident,]” said Elivia Wimmer, a U.Va. Wise junior. “Campus police and our community police did a very good job.”

—compiled by Audrey Waldrop

Published January 29, 2013 in FP test, News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...