Hurricanes blow past Cavaliers, 45-26

Watford throws three picks, Virginia loses eighth straight

It took just six seconds for Miami to take an early lead on the Virginia football team Saturday in Coral Gables, Fla. Hurricane sophomore cornerback Tracy Howard snagged the first of three interceptions thrown by sophomore quarterback David Watford and returned it 19 yards for a touchdown and Virginia would eventually fall 45-26, suffering its eighth consecutive defeat.

Virginia (2-9, 0-7 ACC) cut the Miami (8-3, 4-3 ACC) lead to 14-10 entering the second quarter after a 24-yard touchdown scamper by junior running back Kevin Parks, who finished with 130 rushing yards. Junior Alec Vozenilek’s second field goal of the afternoon brought Virginia within one point, and the Cavaliers appeared to be gaining momentum when junior safety Anthony Harris corralled his FBS-leading eighth interception of the season.

The Cavalier offense then worked its way down into the red zone with just over a minute left in the half, but in an instant, the momentum swung back in Miami’s favor. Watford’s pass intended for junior tight end Zachary Swanson sailed too high, and Hurricane junior cornerback Ladarius Gunter grabbed the tipped pass and rumbled 81 yards down to Virginia’s 3-yard line. Sophomore running back Dallas Crawford eventually punched the ball into the endzone, and the Hurricanes entered the break leading 21-13.

After halftime, Miami added a field goal and another touchdown through the air from senior quarterback Stephen Morris to extend its lead to 31-13. The biggest blow for the Cavaliers came when Harris was ejected for targeting in the third quarter when tackling Morris on 3rd-and-4. By rule, Harris will also be forced to miss the first half of next week’s game against Virginia Tech.

Freshman running back Taquan Mizzell scored his first collegiate touchdown on a 10-yard pass from Watford to open the fourth quarter and later added his first career rushing touchdown with 2:02 remaining. But it was too little, too late as the Cavaliers suffered their first loss in four meetings with Miami under coach Mike London.

Virginia will return to Scott Stadium for its final game of the season Nov. 30 against Virginia Tech for the Commonwealth Cup.