Sullivan pledges $10,000 donation to AccessUVa

President's offers salary raise to support recently cut financial aid program

For every dollar raised for AccessUVa by the Young Alumni Council, University President Teresa Sullivan will match the donation up to $10,000, she announced Nov. 15.

Sullivan announced her intent to donate after the Board of Visitors approved a 2 percent salary raise for the president at its November meeting. Sullivan’s salary for the fiscal year starting July 2012 was $485,000.

“The gift reflects her generosity, [but it] was also to raise awareness of the importance of philanthropy,” University spokesperson McGregor McCance said in an email.

Since Sullivan announced her donation, a second donor anonymously pledged the same amount through the Young Alumni Council’s giving campaign.

The council, a networking organization that aims to increase engagement with recent University graduates, is organizing “Giving TueHoosDay” on Dec. 3 as part of an effort to increase donations among alumni from the past five graduating classes.

Hajar Ahmed, fourth-year College student and leader of the Restore AccessUVa campaign, said it will take more than donations alone to support the program.

“I really commended [Sullivan’s] gesture because that sends a strong message to other people,” Ahmed said. “But in order to be completely assured the program will be around for the long run, there has to be some other implementation in place.”

In efforts to keep the issue at the forefront of the student body’s minds, the Restore AccessUVa is planning to hand out buttons, funded by Student Council, to spectators at Thursday’s Lighting of the Lawn ceremony.