Council to provide charter buses to and from Foxfield races

Tickets to cost $15 for round trips

<p><span class="caps">UTS</span> (bus shown above) said early this semester that it would be unable to provide shuttle services to the Foxfield races for students this year.</p>

UTS (bus shown above) said early this semester that it would be unable to provide shuttle services to the Foxfield races for students this year.

In response to the University Transit System’s announcement they would not offer a shuttle service to and from this year’s Foxfield races, Student Council decided last week to provide a bus service for students in its place.

“After we heard that Foxfield would not be providing buses, we thought that this was an area where Student Council could step in and provide a safe transportation alternative to students choosing to attend the event,” said second-year Commerce student Faith Lyons, Council’s director of university relations.

Before Council stepped in, student options for transportation included designating a sober driver or paying out of pocket for charter buses or taxi cabs. Council has said it feared this would ultimately was not the safest approach to an event which typically involves heavy drinking.

The buses will be Horizon Coach Lines, a company based in Raleigh, N.C. Council will contract three buses, which will each make four round trips to the races. The buses will depart from hourly from the Chapel beginning at 8 a.m., and return hourly beginning at 3 p.m. Paying passengers returning from Foxfield will be served on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Tickets can be purchased from a link on the homepage of Council’s website. They will be given the option to buy round-trip tickets for $15 or one-way tickets for $10. Council hopes the revenues will be able to make up the costs.

“Three buses making four rounds trips will cost Student Council $5,011.25,” Lyons said.

No alcohol will be allowed on the buses.

Though UTS said the change is not necessarily permanent, attributing this year’s decision largely to limited resources, Lyons said Council’s goal is to offer round-trip transportation to the Foxfield races annually if the charter service proves a success.