Women's golf places fourth in South Carolina

Cavaliers shoot 3-under at Cougar Classic

In the first tournament of the season, the Virginia women’s golf team finished in a tie for fourth place Tuesday at the Cougar Classic. Shooting a 4-under 284 in the final round in Hanahan, South Carolina, the Cavaliers closed at 3-under 861, a score also held by Mississippi State.

Junior Elizabeth Szokol led the team, placing eleventh among individuals with a 4-under 212. Szokol is in her first season at Virginia, having transferred during the offseason from Northwestern where she played for her freshman and sophomore years.

Not far behind her was sophomore Lauren Diaz-Yi No. 15. Diaz-Yi, whose tie at No. 28 in the NCAA Championships this past spring was the best performance among all Cavaliers, had a three-day score of 2-under 214 at the Cougar Classic.

The Cavaliers’ score of 861 was the second lowest full tournament score in the history of the program, only topped by the team’s 8-under 856 at the LSU Classic during the 2008-09 season. This marked just the third time ever the team finished below par for a 54-hole tournament.

At an 18-under score of 846, Arkansas was the winner of the Cougar Classic, while UCLA in second place, seven shots back of the Razorbacks. Duke sophomore Sandy Choi finished atop the individual leaderboard with an 11-under 205.

The Cavaliers compete again next weekend, playing at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Franklin, Tennessee Sept. 19-21.