Columbia Journalism School to audit Rolling Stone editing, reporting processes

Deans Steven Coll, Sheila Coronel aim to publish findings "as soon as possible"

Rolling Stone has tasked the Columbia Journalism School with reviewing the internal editing process behind the article the magazine published last month detailing an alleged gang rape of a University student at a fraternity party in Sept. 2012.

Questions and doubts surrounding the central narrative in the story surfaced in early December, prompting a partial retraction by the magazine on Dec. 5.

In the statement announcing the audit, Rolling Stone Editor and Publisher Jann Wenner said the Columbia Journalism School will "conduct an independent review — headed by Dean Steven Coll and Dean of Academic Affairs Sheila Coronel — of the editorial process that led to the publication of this story."

Wenner said the magazine will publish the report as soon as it is finished.

In a statement, Coll and Coronel said the review comes at the request of Rolling Stone and will examine both the "reporting and editorial decision making" that led to the story's publication.

"Rolling Stone has agreed to publish our report in its entirety, without editing, on its website, as well as substantial excerpts in the magazine," she said. "We don't want to comment further about our work until it is completed."

The two do not have a projected completion date for the project, but hope to finish the review "as soon as possible," according to the statement.