​MINK: De-stigmatizing mental illness

The University should provide efficient solutions that allow students to seek care while avoiding stigmatization

Over the past few decades, the incidence of mental illness across the nation has increased dramatically, and stress-filled college campuses are no exception to the trend. In fact, a recent survey of college counseling center directors found that 95 percent of those directors believe the number of students with severe mental illnesses is growing. However, what is almost as troubling as the occurrence of mental illness is how little of it is actually treated. Another survey by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration found that of the one in five American adults who suffer from a mental illness, only 39 percent had received treatment for their illness. While some of that can be chalked up to a dearth of resources devoted to treatment or the lack of awareness surrounding these diseases, a large part of it is due to the perceived stigma surrounding mental illness. People fear for the impact on their social lives and success if they are diagnosed with a mental illness, and therefore ignore their problems and avoid getting the care they need.

The roots of this stigma lie in misinformation and ignorance of the facts. Some of the most common myths surrounding the issue are that mental illnesses are a result of a person’s weakness, that these diseases are very rare or that all problems of the mind can be solved by willpower alone. These misconceptions can lead those afflicted to avoid desperately needed treatment, based on the belief that they are not ill, can master their own illness or out of fear of being labeled weak or crazy. The National Institute of Mental Health found how widespread this behavior is when it reported that most people with a mental illness wait “nearly a decade” before receiving treatment. Their aversion to therapy leaves them trapped between their paralyzing fear of being stigmatized and the harmful symptoms of their own illness.

Over the past few months, the University community has taken steps to reach those in the community suffering from mental illness with a series of events that include the Mental Wellness Screening Day and the more recent Black Flag campaign. These events are especially helpful in spreading awareness about and debunking the myth that mental illness is rare, and much needed at the University, which has seen a dramatic uptick in mental illness. Tim Davis, director of Counseling and Psychological Services at the University, reported that the demand for CAPS has increased 93 percent since 2003, a number he says indicates “students are more accepting of the idea of reaching out.”

While public events such as those above are helpful, they may not be as effective at changing the perception of the portion of the population that feels stigmatized. A study by the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance found that while 57 percent of adults felt those with mental illness were treated well, only 25 percent of adults that suffered from mental illness agreed. Therefore, the issue is not just the stigma that exists on Grounds, but the stigma that afflicted students believe exists on Grounds. It is their perception of a stigma that decides whether or not they will be comfortable admitting to their problem and seeking help. So though it is absolutely necessary for events like the Mental Wellness Day to continue, the people suffering now need a more immediate solution that allows them to receive the care they need without having to face their fear of stigmatization.

This can be accomplished through increased online resources, such as CAPS’ online mental health screening, which allows students to anonymously find if they are suffering from a mental illness and then gives them options on the next step they should take. There should also be additional satellite locations for CAPS counselors on Grounds. This would help students by making it easier to reach help without having to go entirely out of their way. For someone suffering from mental illness, the walk to Elson Student Health Center can lie at the other side of a chasm of fear, a chasm we can help them bridge by making it easier and safer for them to come to terms with their struggles.

Alex Mink is a Viewpoint Writer.