Men’s lacrosse concludes season with dominating win against Penn

After a solid first two months of the season back in 2011, the Virginia men’s lacrosse team used a dominating victory against Pennsylvania to conclude the regular season and kick-start a national championship run. While the NCAA victor will take another month to be decided, Saturday night provided an eerily similar ending to the Cavaliers’ 2015 slate.

No. 8 Virginia (10-4, 0-4 ACC) used a 9-0 run that stretched for 43:53 to deliver a 12-6 shellacking of Pennsylvania (6-7, 3-3 Ivy) in the Cavaliers’ final regular season contest of the year.

After the Quakers hopped on the board early, taking a 1-0 lead at the 12:00 mark, Virginia junior attackman Greg Coholan began the 9-0 stretch with his first of four goals of the night. He added four more assists to lead all scorers with eight points.

Senior midfielder Ryan Tucker, who was 0-19 shooting since a March 28 victory against Richmond, netted the second goal of the game, giving Virginia a 2-1 first quarter lead.

The Cavaliers blanked Pennsylvania over the next two quarters, scoring four and two goals, respectively. Sophomore attackman Ryan Lukacovic and senior midfielder Tyler German, each of whom totaled four points, both added two goals each in the stretch.

Virginia won the ground ball battle, 39-23, while also scooping up 13 of 22 faceoffs. Sophomore goalie Matt Barrett finished with 11 saves.

The Cavaliers, a likely seventh or eighth seed in the NCAA tournament, will await the announcement of their postseason fate May 3. All top-eight seeds host their first-round playoff game.