​Vittese, field hockey edge Delware in overtime, 3-2

<p>Sophomore midfielder Tara Vittese converted the game-winning penalty stroke in overtime to notch her 10th goal and 29th point of the year.</p>

Sophomore midfielder Tara Vittese converted the game-winning penalty stroke in overtime to notch her 10th goal and 29th point of the year.

The No. 5 Virginia field hockey team defeated another top-20 team this weekend when it edged No. 15 Delaware 3-2 in overtime. The Cavaliers (12-3, 3-2 ACC) outshot the Blue Hens, 16-10, but Delaware (11-4, 2-1 CAA) sophomore goalie Emmeline Oltmans’ seven saves were enough to force overtime.

The rainy, cold weather in Delaware did not seem to bother either team, with both offenses creating numerous chances early on. Virginia capitalized first, with senior striker Taylor Brown hammering home an assist from junior midfielder Lucy Hyams just over three minutes into the game. Delaware responded just a minute and 30 seconds later, when it converted a penalty corner.

The action settled down after that, with both defenses buckling down and keeping play stuck in the midfield. The 1-1 draw carried through the rest of the first half and through much of the second.

With just under seven minutes remaining in the game, Delaware snagged its first lead off of another converted penalty corner. However, the Cavaliers turned up the pressure offensively and finally broke through with 1:41 to play, when freshman striker Greta Ell finished a penalty corner set up by Cavalier leading scorer, sophomore midfielder Tara Vittese.

Virginia carried that momentum into the overtime period, ending the game when the extra period was just four minutes old. Junior striker Riley Tata drew a penalty when Oltman knocked her down inside the circle. Vittese converted the ensuing penalty stroke to earn her 10th goal and 29th point of the year.

The Cavaliers are back in action Saturday when they play their final regular season home game against No. 13 Boston College. The game will begin at 1 p.m.