In-state tuition hikes cut in half

Increase cut from 3 to 1.5 percent for 2016-17 academic year

<p>According to a press release from the University, more than $3 million has been earmarked to improve access, affordability, quality and increased degrees at the University.</p>

According to a press release from the University, more than $3 million has been earmarked to improve access, affordability, quality and increased degrees at the University.

Contrary to initial expectations, in-state tuition will increase by 1.5 percent for the 2016-17 academic year — a 50 percent decrease from the original proposed amount of 3 percent, the University announced April 14.

The reduction is a result of additional state funding for higher education during the next two-year budget cycle.

Budget Bill HB30 is the new two-year budget for the Commonwealth that included the increased funding for institutions of higher education, including the University of Virginia. More than $3 million has been earmarked to improve access, affordability, quality and increased degrees at the University, according to a University press release.

Under the bill, the University was allocated $1,281,474,888 for fiscal year 2017 and $1,283,206,110 for fiscal year 2018 designated across educational and general programs, financial assistance for education and general services, higher education student financial assistance and higher education auxiliary enterprises.

Comparatively, James Madison University was allocated $549,001,449 for fiscal year 2017, William and Mary was allocated $336,584,082, and Virginia Commonwealth University secured $1,112,919,368.

Even before the additional funding from the state, the tuition increase was lower than expected due to cost efficiencies implemented across the University.

“Fortunately, the state budget includes funding for U.Va. beyond our initial projections,” Board of Visitors Rector William H. Goodwin Jr. said in the press release. “This significant and welcomed action from the legislature provides an even greater benefit to Virginia families.”

In addition to the 1.5 percent increase, incoming first-years will face an additional $1,000 increase this fall as part of the Affordable Excellence program.

The Affordable Excellence program was approved by the Board of Visitors in 2015 as a way of making the University more accessible to lower-income Virginia students. The program included a $1,000 tuition raise for incoming first-years during the 2015-16 academic year and another increase during the 2016-17 academic year.

This tuition decrease is part of a trend of decreasing hikes over the past few years. Tuition for the 2015-16 academic year increased 3.9 percent for all students. The 2014-15 academic year brought an increase of 4.3 percent and 5.9 percent for in-state and out-of-state students, respectively.

Hikes in tuition are often the result of changes to funding the University receives from the state.

In 2011, the board raised tuition by 8.9 percent to make up for a $15 million cut in state funding.

Another cut to state funding in 2012 caused the University to raise tuition 3.7 percent and 4 percent for in-state and out-of-state students, respectively.

In an effort to make the University more accessible to Virginians, in 2011 the board approved the addition of 1,673 students throughout the 2018-19 school year — a plan which the University is on track to meet.

This increase is a 11.9 percent growth in undergraduate enrollment since 2010-11. The additional students will help the state reach its goal of producing 100,000 more degrees, the release stated.

“Our undergraduate enrollment growth provides new revenue that helps address some of our cost increases and consequently has a mitigating effect on tuition increases,” University Spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said in an email statement.

In addition to lowering the tuition increase, the funding from the state also allows the University to fund new strategic initiatives that were not previously included in the budget.

According to the release, the University plans to increase awareness — especially among underserved students who will be the first in their families to attend college — of the University admission process and financial aid programs.

Within the University, curricular advancements are planned to enhance academic quality, especially foundational writing skills meant to prepare students for further coursework. The additional funding will also allow for an increase in student internships, fieldwork and service initiatives.

“The additional state funding provides us significant new opportunities to target investments in the quality of a U.Va. education,” Executive Vice President and Provost Tom Katsouleas said in the press release. “This is an exciting time for higher education and students in the commonwealth. Investments made today in access and quality will pay off for all Virginians.”

Although the budget allocation is focused on improving access, affordability and quality, it is up to the individual institution in choosing how to use the provided funds.

“The University appreciates the General Assembly’s investment, which advances our efforts to sustain the excellence of a U.Va. education while enhancing its affordability and extraordinary value,” President Teresa Sullivan said in an email statement.