In wake of chalkings, students step up

Handling bigotry the right way

Offensive chalking messages targeting minority and trans individuals appeared on Grounds Monday morning. What followed was a series of reactions from University organizations and individuals including the Black Student Alliance and the Queer Student Union. Among them were chalkings with statements such as “We don’t stand for bigotry” and “Hoos in Solidarity.” Prominent individuals at the University such as Dean of Students Allen Groves and Pat Lampkin, vice president and chief student affairs officer, also condemned the hateful messages. When hate rears its ugly head, it is not enough simply to condemn it; we need to back up that condemnation by showing up. Countering hate speech requires promoting positive speech, and this week University students have done just that.

The positive counter-chalkings and statements from University students and administrators showed that even though there may be community individuals who have hateful ideas or are aiming to drive a wedge between members of the University, there are many more who are actively committed to making the University a welcome place for all. QSU President Jack Chellman said it well when he said that the organization’s chalking was about “reclaiming space.” Negative chalking messages on Grounds create unsafe spaces for students by making them feel like they do not belong, and the positive chalking messages were effective in counteracting that effort.

Student and administrative leaders should be patient with their responses when controversy reaches Grounds, but this week’s messages were unquestionably condemnable, and so the University’s quick rebuke of the chalkings was entirely appropriate. But beyond that, the widespread reaction of disgust is itself an indication that our community is ultimately united in its rejection of these acts. We should do all we can to rid the University of hate, but can take pride in the fact that the efforts of a few are no match for our community of trust.