A look at this year's graduating athletes

<p>Emily Sonnett,&nbsp;the ESPNW National Player of the Year and was a MAC Hermann Trophy finalist, was the No. 1 pick in the NWSL draft.</p>

Emily Sonnett, the ESPNW National Player of the Year and was a MAC Hermann Trophy finalist, was the No. 1 pick in the NWSL draft.

The Cavalier Daily sports section looks back at eight graduating athletes who have left a lasting impact on their team and the University athletic community.

Football: Canaan Severin

The former four-star recruit, according to Rivals, had a tumultuous first two seasons on grounds. The Massachusetts native caught just six balls for 46 yards. Starting in the 2014 season, however, his fortune changed.

Severin dropped more than 20 pounds and went on to lead Virginia in receiving for two consecutive years, with 578 yards in 2014 and 747 yards in 2015. He also caught eight touchdowns as a senior — four more than any other Cavalier. He was one of four team captains in 2015.

Severin went undrafted in the 2016 NFL Draft, but signed a free agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Women’s swimming and diving: Courtney Bartholomew

The backstroke specialist won 12 All-American honors, claimed 10 ACC Championships and earned 11 All-ACC mentions in her four years in Charlottesville.

She holds the program and conference record in the 100 back, with a time of 50.01, and 200 back, at 1:49.35. Her time of 1:55.23 in the 200 IM is also the best in program history. At the NCAAs in the 2014-15 season, she was the runner-up in both the 100 and 200 back and was part of the 400-yard medley relay team that placed second by .01.

The Virginia women’s swimming and diving team has won nine consecutive ACC titles, and has placed a program-best fifth at the NCAAs for two consecutive years.

Wrestling: Zach Nye

Nye impressed early in his redshirt season, going 21-10 when competing unattached in tournaments. From then on, Nye became a staple for the Virginia wrestling team.

Nye finished as the ACC runner-up in the 197-pound weight class in the 2013-14 season, earning his first NCAA berth. The Enola, Pa. native repeated as the ACC runner-up in his next season after posting a 4-1 record in ACC duals and earning another NCAA qualification. Nye graduated with a bachelor’s degree in May 2015 and competed as a graduate student in 2016, where he earned his third NCAA tournament bid while finishing off his career with a record of 76-39.

Women’s soccer: Emily Sonnett

Sonnett has been a key player for both Virginia and the nation in her four seasons with the team. Sonnett earned ACC All-Freshman team honors in her first season, and then in 2013 set a Virginia single-season record with 2,341 minutes played.

Sonnett continued to collect accolades, earning the College Cup Most Outstanding Defensive Player honors in 2014. In 2015, Sonnett was selected as a member of the U.S. Women’s National team and traveled with the team during the World Cup victory tour. Sonnett also earned ESPNW National Player of the Year and was a MAC Hermann Trophy finalist.

She will continue to make an impact in women’s soccer on the national team and on the Portland Thorns FC as the top overall NWSL draft pick.

Baseball: Kevin Doherty

Over his four-year career as a member of the Virginia baseball team, senior reliever and outfielder Kevin Doherty has owned his role. This season, the Laytonsville, Md. native has made more appearances on the mound, 24, than any other Cavalier.

Coach Brian O’Connor has always relied on his lefty veteran in late-inning, high-pressure situations, where Doherty excels on the rubber and, not to mention, delivers in the batter’s box. Fans will always remember Doherty for his go-ahead doubles a year ago against Maryland in the Lake Elsinore Regional and Southern California in the Super Regional on the road to Omaha, Neb.

Men’s tennis: Ryan Shane

A month ago, Virginia students gathered around the fence at court one to honor their peer, senior Ryan Shane, as he finished out his final singles match, 6-3, 6-2, at Snyder Tennis Center. The JEB Stuart alum, who currently leads the Cavaliers in defense of their 2014-15 NCAA title, has put together one of the greatest tennis careers in school history, sporting an overall singles record of 101-33.

Shane claimed the individual NCAA singles championship a season ago, in addition to the team title, and competed in the 2015 U.S. Open — a dream of his since he was a kid.

Men’s basketball: Malcolm Brogdon

Brogdon leaves Virginia basketball as one of the most decorated players in program history. His 1,809 points rank ninth all-time, and he played the second-most games, 136, in team history.

Brogdon never missed a game in his final three seasons, starting in all 108 contests and earning three selections to the All-ACC first team. In the 2014-15 season, he was selected as a second team All-American.

In his 2015-16 season, Brogdon led Virginia to the Elite Eight, averaging a career-high 18.2 points per game. Named a unanimous consensus first-team All-American, Brogdon was also the ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year.

Brogdon projects as a fringe first-round prospect in this summer’s NBA Draft.

Women’s tennis: Julia Elbaba

Elbaba shined in her freshman season, becoming the first Cavalier to earn a seed at the NCAA Singles Championship. She also received ITA All-American honors and was named the ITA National Rookie of the Year.

In her sophomore season, Elbaba earned her second-straight ITA All-American selection in both singles and doubles. She reached the No. 1 spot in ITA singles rankings in 2014-15 and posted a 30-7 singles record en route to her third-straight All-American singles honors.

In 2016, Elbaba won her 128th career singles match to set the program record. Additionally, she became the first in program history to be a four-time All-ACC first teamer.

Elbaba and the women’s team are currently in the midst of their postseason run.