Gunman reported near Gordon Avenue

Threat has ended, area under investigation

<p>A gunman was reported in the Gordon Avenue area around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, but officials said the area was all clear in another notice at 6:58 p.m.</p>

A gunman was reported in the Gordon Avenue area around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, but officials said the area was all clear in another notice at 6:58 p.m.

A gunman was in the Gordon Avenue area Tuesday evening, according to an email sent to the University community from the Office of Safety and Emergency Preparedness at 6:31 p.m.

Officials issued a notice to the community at 6:58 p.m. noting that the gunman threat has ended, but are advising people to avoid the Gordon Avenue area, as it is under investigation.

Around 6:20 p.m., the Charlottesville Police Department dispatched officers after shots were reported in the area of Gordon Avenue, 10th Street NW and 11th Street NW, according to a release.

There was property damage to vehicles and residences, although no victims have been reported. The Charlottesville Police Department has also said there is no suspect in custody.

“At this time the incident is under investigation and members of our Investigations Bureau as well as our Forensic Unit are on scene,” the release said.