YAHNIAN: Attacking white guys is offensive too

The Daily Tar Heel traded on stereotypes to attack an entire group

Last week, The Daily Tar Heel’s editorial board published a disgusting editorial that peddled stereotypes of a group that makes up around 27 percent of its student population. Racism is not limited to Hispanic or Black injustices but rather extends to any action which labels a group of people based on petty, preconceived notions. So when the editorial board at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill issues a piece about white males that any reasonable review would recognize as publishing disrespectful stereotypes, it demands a clear condemnation from everyone.

I recommend you read the editorial before continuing. In the opening line, the article claims to be an “advertisement from a fictional fraternity president inspired by online comments.” First, and most obvious, if this is written from the perspective of an allegedly “fictional” fraternity member, then why publish something that’s fictional? That initial line is just a shoddy attempt to avoid criticism by hiding behind a petty rationalization for printing stereotypes. It’s exactly like when someone says “not to be racist” and then proceeds to voice something that is actually racist. Second, the editorial contends that it was “inspired by online comments.” If an article is written based on anonymous internet comments, then publishing that bigoted viewpoint in an actual article legitimizes a disgusting fringe.

The editorial purports an almost unbelievable number of stereotypes in rapid succession. It declares that “white guys. . .wanna pound Natty while watching the next Donald Trump speech.” It proclaims that white guys make Facebook cover photos of the “boys chillin’ at the beach house with a Confederate flag.” That they get “public drunkenness ticket[s]” and see a girl for only how tight her dress is. And finally that they “worked hard at [their] Goldman Sachs internship” and drive BMWs. How can a newspaper publish that many rash generalizations of a group of people and somehow think it okay? Apparently, it’s supposed to be hilarious!

What’s so disturbing about this article is that someone actually had to write it. Fraternities and “white guys” may seem to be easy targets for applying stereotypes, but that doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to do it. What’s the goal in publishing a piece that generalizes the thoughts and beliefs of an entire group of people? Whether that group of people is black, white, female, low-income or disabled, it’s just wrong.

The crux of the piece is that it ascribes the beliefs of a select few to that of an entire group. Attributing political beliefs, views toward women and even drinking habits based on some superficial category should never be published in a newspaper — let alone by a college newspaper’s editorial board. White guys can decide for themselves whether they are willing to reject the racism in Trump’s plan to ban immigration based on a person’s religious beliefs. And if they are not, then energy should be spent battling that racism in the political discourse, not in publicizing more of it.

Some people have debated whether cases such as this one would have had a different level of outrage had the article been written using stereotypes about Hispanic or black students. Racism toward minorities and stereotypes of the majority are unfortunately still a part of our society. What matters is that we should condemn both forms of this bigotry. Denial of its occurrence, feigning ignorance of its presence or publishing more of its thoughts is not an acceptable answer. It’s possible to detest the documented racism toward African-Americans in our criminal justice system while simultaneously decrying prejudice in more subtle forms like a newspaper editorial.

The article mocks the supposed conflict between “white bros. . . and the political correctness police” in attempts to draw irony to the First Amendment’s guarantee of free speech. Yet, it’s that same First Amendment that protects their right to disguise blatant stereotype usage under the moniker of humor. I hope this editorial board will focus their future pieces on consequential topics that use clear citations and evidence. Maybe next time it’ll prevent publication of racist drivel.

Ben Yahnian is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at b.yahnian@cavalierdaily.com.