Lecturer’s Black Lives Matter comments were revolting — but also political speech

While maintaining academic freedom, the University should reassess diversity training, hiring practices

Amid campus anxiety over racial tensions, University lecturer Douglas Muir recently compared Black Lives Matter to the Ku Klux Klan on social media. His comment rightfully spawned outrage from many in our community; he is now taking leave from the Engineering School, a move we support. It is important for members of our community, in particular those hired by the University, to voice their opinions respectfully. Though Muir was not fired, it is important to recognize that political speech, especially when made outside the classroom, should not be a fireable offense.

As a lecturer and the owner of local restaurant Bella’s, Muir is a reminder that our academic and social spaces are still unwelcoming to some. Black Student Alliance President Bryanna Miller responded to the incident by saying Muir is “not the only faculty member with ignorant and prejudicial views.” Condemning public expression of these views, as the University and students have done, sends a signal to other faculty members that racism is not welcome here on Grounds.

Comparing Black Lives Matter to the KKK is, most charitably, ill-informed; at worst, it’s egregiously offensive to a contemporary civil rights movement and those supporting it. Muir’s comparison, while noxious, constitutes a political statement. While we strongly condemn his views, we acknowledge his right to voice them — in particular outside the classroom — just as we support students protesting them.

Academic freedom and an inclusive academic community are two values which, as we’ve seen in this situation, are difficult to preserve at the same time in totality. For the sake of promoting a healthy learning environment, we should consider better diversity and sensitivity training for University faculty, as well as continue the ongoing effort to hire more non-white and female faculty members in the first place. The more individuals from these perspectives can voice their opinions, the easier it will be for more diverse voices to drown out ignorant speech. With enough debate, our community can achieve the most informed understanding of contentious issues — precisely the aim of an institution built upon academic freedom.