“Moana” delivers messages of empowerment, cultural appreciation

Disney animated film embraces strength in diversity

<p>Disney's latest princess film, "Moana,"&nbsp;is its best work to date.</p>

Disney's latest princess film, "Moana," is its best work to date.

“Moana,” the animated film starring a Polynesian heroine, is Disney’s best princess movie to date. Featuring a romance-free plot, the title character, voiced by newcomer Auli'i Cravalho, asserts her independence and resilience in a manner unlike other Disney characters. In addition to her admirable and complex personality, the accurate depiction of Moana’s vibrant Polynesian culture contributes a distinct richness to the film. With its definitive themes of female empowerment and cultural appreciation, “Moana” inspires and enlightens audiences.

“Moana” is a tale of the young daughter of a Polynesian chief who seeks to explore the world beyond her island in the Pacific and save her people in the process. Moana’s father continually asserts that because her role is to be the island’s next leader, she must remain on the island. However, her decision to defy her father’s orders leads to a fulfilling experience. Audiences join Moana on a journey of personal development and heroism as she tries to save her island from destruction.

“Moana” skillfully incorporates Polynesian culture into its plot, demonstrating its beauty and intricacy while respecting its origins. The film includes the traditional Polynesian legend of Maui, a demigod known for his mischievous personality and contributions to mankind, most notably his creation of the Pacific Islands by pulling up rocks from beneath the ocean.

The casting of Polynesian actors also contributes to the authenticity of the film and demonstrates directors Ron Clements’ and John Musker’s careful awareness of and respect for Moana’s background. Most significantly, main characters Moana and Maui are voiced by actors with Polynesian origins. Cravalho is a young Hawaiian woman, while Dwayne Johnson, who voices Maui, is of Samoan heritage.

Maui’s character is cleverly utilized to highlight the significance of Moana’s agency as a young woman. Demonstrating his rude personality, Maui constantly doubts Moana’s ability to navigate the ocean and help her people because of her status as the young daughter of a chief. Moana’s continual capacity to prove Maui wrong emphasizes her independence and inherent talents regardless of her social standing or gender. Though Maui and his godly powers contribute to the storyline, Moana’s strength and determination are central to the film’s plot and communicate a stirring message of female empowerment.

As a whole, “Moana” is a socially and culturally aware film that consistently embraces strength in diversity. In traditional Disney princess fashion, it features an inspirational female character and catchy tunes about hardship and courage — several written by Lin-Manuel Miranda of the broadway show “Hamilton.” Adding all of these different dimensions to the traditional Disney formula make “Moana” the best Disney princess film yet, and indicate a positive direction for future films.