MULVIHILL: Rebuilding the Student Information System

Instead of promoting third party scheduling platforms, the University should overhaul SIS

On Nov. 2, my colleague Eric Xu wrote an article encouraging the University to promote third-party scheduling platforms, particularly to first-year students. He espoused the effectiveness of alternatives to the Students Information System, such as Lou’s List and theCourseForum. Though Xu’s argument brings up important issues with the efficiency of course scheduling, his proposed plan creates more hassle than help. Instead of working to promote several third-party entities, the University should modify SIS and create a more efficient scheduling body. Systems such as Lou’s List that have proved popular with students could be used as models for a more efficient SIS. By streamlining and improving their own database, the University could ease the stress of student scheduling and keep all information within their own system.

A modified SIS would improve course selection because students could attain all relevant information through one platform. As Xu stated, most students create their schedules using a combination of websites and resources outside of SIS. By changing SIS to include additional information about course descriptions and average grades obtained in different classes, students could rely on one platform instead of four to schedule for upcoming semesters. Through Xu’s idea of promoting third-party websites would draw attention to strong platforms created by students and professors at the University, it would ultimately perpetuate the inefficiency that has plagued scheduling for years. Advocating for more platforms during scheduling is pointless, as the University should improve what already exists.

Additionally, Xu states his proposal would add convenience to advising because professors themselves would become more familiar with third-party platforms. His main complaint is that professors rely on SIS and advise their students to rely on it as well, when it is far less efficient than its third-party counterparts. This issue could be solved in a much simpler manner by improving SIS. Professors could maintain their advising methods but they would have a better base to rely on. Also, Xu explains advisors must familiarize themselves with courses in many fields to provide a high quality service to students. This advising method would be inherently hindered by his proposal. For professors to maintain a knowledge of courses across disciplines, the system should be streamlined, rather than expanded.

Xu also proposed the University send an online newsletter to first-years to inform them of the different resources available for course scheduling information. He stated, “By improving the knowledge that students have about various ways to plan out schedules before enrollment begins, the University can help ensure that all students start on an equal playing field when the floodgates of enrollment actually open.” This section of his plan is not only viable but should be encouraged. If the University modified SIS to include more resources and make it easier to use, they could email a simple “guide to SIS” tutorial to every first year prior to orientation. This way, first years could learn the system from the start. A newsletter would be an effective way to disseminate multiple pieces information about course selection resources, but the University and its students would still benefit from a more user-friendly course selection database. The University should maintain the active level of communication with incoming first-year students that Xu suggests, but a better SIS would make the process easier on everyone.

Though Xu’s plan may create more confusion in the realm of course scheduling resources, his argument shows that our current SIS is flawed. Students frequently turn to outside sites to avoid dealing with the University’s resource of choice, but promoting those would cause more chaos. Ultimately, an improvement to the existing system would benefit all parties and is worth the investment.

Carly Mulvihill is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at c.mulvihill@cavalierdaily.com.