May 23, 2017

NEWS

​Bryan Cranston to speak at U.Va.

Award-winning actor invited to John Paul Jones Arena March 26

bryan_cranston_peabody_2014

Cranston is an award-winning author, actor, screenwriter, director and producer.

The University announced Tuesday that award-winning actor Bryan Cranston will be the third speaker in the University President’s Speaker Series for the Arts.

Cranston will speak at John Paul Jones Arena on March 26.

He is also an author, screenwriter, director and producer and is known for his work on the television shows “Breaking Bad” and “Malcolm in the Middle,” as well as the Broadway show “All the Way,” in which he plays President Lyndon B. Johnson.

“The study, performance and appreciation of the arts enrich life in our community,” University President Teresa Sullivan said in a press release. “All of us are looking forward to hearing Mr. Cranston share his perspectives, based on his significant career in the arts.”

The main event will take the form of a conversation moderated by University alumnus Mark Johnson, a film producer known for his work in “The Notebook,” “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” and “Breaking Bad.”

“I am also delighted to welcome back U.Va. alumnus Mark Johnson to moderate the conversation,” Sullivan said. “He is an outstanding contributor to the arts in his own right.”

The conversation falls on the last day of the Virginia Festival of the Book held in Charlottesville from March 22 to March 26. Cranston’s own memoir, “A Life in Parts,” was published in 2016 and will be available at the event.

Jody Kielbasa, the vice provost for the arts and director of the Virginia Film Festival, said both attendees’ have extensive experiences and achievements in the field of the dramatic arts.

“Both Cranston and Johnson are internationally acclaimed in their fields,” Kielbasa said in a release. “They continue to make vibrant and meaningful contributions to the dramatic arts, in film, television, and the theater, that touch millions of viewers. As such they are outstanding ambassadors for the importance of the arts as a force that helps to shape our lives.”

The offices of the President and the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Vice Provost for the Arts and the Joseph & Robert Cornell Memorial Foundation are the main supporters of the event. Past speakers include University alumna Tina Fey in 2013 and Kevin Spacey in 2014. 

Published February 22, 2017 in News