Weekend previews: Sept. 8-10

“The Skinny” on weekend action for women's soccer, men's golf

<p>Look for junior Thomas Walsh to help lead Virginia in what should be a highly competitive tournament.&nbsp;</p>
<p><br></p>

Look for junior Thomas Walsh to help lead Virginia in what should be a highly competitive tournament. 

Women’s Soccer

What: No. 8 Virginia (4-1-0) vs. No. 5 Penn State (3-1-0)

Where: Klöckner Stadium

When: Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s soccer team will host No. 5 Penn State for its second match against a top-five opponent this week.

The Cavaliers have only dropped one game this season, which was a 1-0 loss to Wisconsin. Besides the loss, Virginia has picked up four wins and freshman goalkeeper Laurel Ivory has posted three clean sheets.

Offensively, Virginia’s leading scorer is freshman forward Taryn Torres, who has two goals thus far in the season.  

Penn State has also only suffered one loss this season — against No. 3 West Virginia, who the Cavaliers beat earlier in the season. 

Junior midfielder Marissa Sheva leads Penn State in scoring with four goals on the season.

Virginia and Penn State met in the NCAA tournament last year, and the Cavaliers picked up a 3-0 win in the contest. In that game, current junior midfielder Betsy Brandon and sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer were responsible for two of Virginia’s goals. 

The game is set to kick off at 2 p.m. in Klöckner Stadium and marks the end of a five home-game streak for the Cavaliers. 

— Compiled by Emma D’Arpino

Men’s Golf

What: The Carpet Capital Collegiate

Where: Dalton, Ga.

When: Friday, Sept. 8 — Sunday, Sept. 10

The Skinny: The No. 15 Virginia men’s golf team will look to start their fall season by repeating as champions in the Carpet Capital Collegiate tournament this weekend.

The Carpet Capital is an elite tournament played annually in Dalton, Ga.  The tournament traditionally has attracted many top teams from both the SEC and ACC conferences, as well as other premier teams across the country.

The tournament’s field this year will be as strong as ever, as seven of the 15 competing teams are ranked in the top 25 in the GCAA Coaches pre-season poll.  This includes traditional SEC conference powerhouses like No. 19 Alabama and No. 10 Florida, as well as top ACC teams like No. 18 Georgia Tech and No. 17 Clemson.

In last year’s Carpet Capital tournament, Virginia had one of its best performances of the season.  The Cavaliers finished in first place by shooting 833 (31 under par), which broke the tournament record of 841 previously set by Alabama in 2006.

It will be difficult for the Cavaliers to match their performance from last year’s tournament, as Jimmy Stanger and Derek Bard, Virginia’s top two golfers from the 2016-17 season, both graduated this past spring. However, the Cavaliers still possess top talent, with junior honorable mention All-American Thomas Walsh and senior Danny Walker returning to the team.

Look for Walsh and Walker to lead Virginia in what should be a highly competitive tournament. 

Virginia is scheduled to tee-off on Friday at 9:30 a.m..  

— Compiled by Jack Gallagher