A$AP Ferg and Aminé to perform in UPC’s spring concert

Rappers will co-headline at JPJ in April

<p>A$AP Ferg performs at The Opera House in Toronto in Dec. 2013.&nbsp;</p>

A$AP Ferg performs at The Opera House in Toronto in Dec. 2013. 

Rappers A$AP Ferg and Aminé will perform at John Paul Jones Arena for the University Programs Council spring concert. The event, which will take place April 4, was announced Friday morning and will be the first UPC event at JPJ since Future and Lil Yachty canceled their Welcome Week show in August 2017 after the fatal Unite the Right rally. 

In an email to students, fourth-year Chair of UPC Debbie Yoo and second-year Director of UPC PKG Concerts Committee Molly Strauchler announced the concert.

“Since last fall, [UPC] has received many questions about a John Paul Jones Arena concert, and now we are thrilled to announce that A$AP Ferg and Aminé will be coming to perform.”

A$AP Ferg is an American rapper from Harlem who has released two albums and two mixtapes since his debut single “Work” in 2012. His most recent mix, 2017’s “Still Striving,” features the lead single “Plain Jane,” which has over 330 million streams on Spotify. 

Aminé is an American rapper, singer and songwriter from Portland. Best known for his 2016 single “Caroline,” the rapper has since released two studio albums — “Good For You” (2017) and “ONEPOINTFIVE” (2018) — and was named as one of the members of XXL Magazine’s 2017 freshman class.     

UPC will host a lottery to give away 5,000 free tickets to current undergraduate and graduate students, which would fill about one-third of JPJ’s capacity of 14,953. Winners will be awarded two tickets and are free to bring any current University student as their guest. The email directed students to enter the lottery before March 1. Winners will be announced by the following Friday, March 8. 

Tickets will also be available for public purchase on Monday, Feb. 18. The concert will be held at John Paul Jones Arena on April 4, at 7:30 p.m.

Correction: This article previously misidentified fourth-year Chair of UPC Debbie Yoo as a third-year. It has been updated to reflect her accurate year.