Founded in 1890 under the name College Topics, The Cavalier Daily is the independent daily newspaper at the University of Virginia. The Cavalier Daily is Virginia’s oldest collegiate daily and the oldest daily newspaper in Charlottesville, Va. Since the summer of 1996, The Cavalier Daily has been the only daily newspaper at the University, with a print circulation of 10,000 distributed on Grounds and in the surrounding Charlottesville area. The Cavalier Daily also publishes a daily online edition with expanded and enhanced content that has been recognized by Student Council as the University’s best website.
The Cavalier Daily is an entirely student-run, non-profit organization with an operating budget accrued solely through advertising.
The diverse staff of more than 200 students has earned awards for outstanding news writing, editorial writing, feature writing, and overall design, and is consistently ranked a four-star newspaper by the Associated Collegiate Press. For the 1998-99 school year, The Cavalier Daily was awarded the ACP’s Pacemaker Award for Newspaper Excellence, recognizing it as one of the best collegiate dailies in the nation. During the same year, The Cavalier Daily was awarded 11 Virginia Press Association awards, in competition with professional newspapers from throughout Virginia.
Cavalier Daily staffers have gone on to write professionally for some of journalism’s most prestigious publications, including The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Dallas Morning News, The Baltimore Sun, and The Washington Post. In addition, staff members routinely earn summer internships with top-ranked media organizations, such as ABC News, NBC News, The Baltimore Sun, The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Daily News, The Washington Post, Sports Illustrated, and The Portland Oregonian.
The opinions expressed in The Cavalier Daily are not necessarily those of the students, faculty, staff or administration of the University of Virginia. Editorials represent the opinion of the Managing Board. Columns and cartoons represent the views of the authors. The Managing Board of The Cavalier Daily is solely responsible for the newspaper’s contents.
If you would like to voice your own opinion, please send a letter to the editor to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publishing Schedule, Etc.
The Cavalier Daily is published Monday through Thursday during the school year (except school breaks and exam periods) and is printed in the offices of The Culpeper Star-Exponent. For more details please consult our Publication Calendar.
Offices of The Cavalier Daily are located in the basement of Newcomb Hall at the University of Virginia: PO Box 400703, Charlottesville, VA, 22904-4703. The Cavalier Daily can be reached at (434) 326-3286.
- Freedom of Information award from the Virginia Coalition for Open Government
2012 Virginia Press Association Awards
- First place Sports Pages — Rebecca Lim, Meghan Luff, Sylvia Oe
- First place Critical writing – Carolin Gecker
- First place Sports Writing Portfolio – Fritz Metzinger
- Third place Sports Writing Portfolio – Daniel Weltz
- Third place Sports Column Writing – Zach Bartee
- Third place Feature Photo – Will Brumas
- Third place Column Writing – Alex Yahanda
- Third place Editorial Writing – Aaron Eisen, Matthew Cameron, Anna Xie, Kaz Komolafe, Greg Lewis
- Third place General News Writing – Krista Pederson, Charlie Tyson, Audrey Waldrop, Greg Lewis
2011 Virginia Press Association Awards
- First place Critical Writing — Caroline Gecker
- Second place Column Writing — Sam Carrigan
- Second place Education Writing — Kaz Komolafe, Joseph Liss, Katherine Raichlen
- Second place In-depth or Investigative Reporting — Andrew Seidman
- Third place Editorial Writing — Jason Ally, Matthew Cameron, Andrew Seidman, Alyssa Juan, Allie Vandivier
2010 Virginia Press Association Awards
- First place Sports Writing — Andrew Seidman
- Second place Feature Story Writing — Hunter Tammaro
- Third place Sports Feature Photo — Thomas Bynum
- Third place Lifestyle or Entertainment Pages — Kate Zimmerman, Bret Vollmer
- Third place Sports Pages — Jason Ally, Alyssa Juan, Kelsey Price
2009 Virginia Press Association Awards
- Second place Sports Column Writing — Paul Montana
- Third place Illustrations — Wesley Andrews
2008 Virginia Press Association Awards
- First Amendment Award, shared with The Collegiate Times of Virginia Tech
- First place General Makeup — Laura Margaret Hammett, Lauren Tindall, Amanda Morgan
- First place Critical Writing — Sarah Sherman
- First place Sports Column Writing — Kyle O’Connor
- Second place Investigative Reporting — Thomas W. Madrecki
- Second place Feature Story Writing — Wm. Hunter Tammaro
- Second place Critical Writing — David Replogle
- Second place Editorial Writing — James Rogers
- Second place Education Writing — Kelly Morenus
- Second place Sports News Photo — Jason O. Watson
- Second place General News Photo — Bennett Sorbo
- Third place Feature Story Writing — Wm. Hunter Tammaro
- Third place Critical Writing — Ethan Hamlin
- Third place Education Writing — Anne Rasmussen
- Third place Sports Pages — Laura Margaret Hammett, Lauren Tindall, Amanda Morgan
- Third place Sports Feature Photo — Jason O. Watson
- Third place Sports Writing — Eric Kolenich
- Third place Editorial Cartoons — Wesley Andrews
2007 Virginia Press Association Awards
- First place Critical Writing — Ethan Hamlin
- Second place Critical Writing — Sarah Sherman
- Second place Column Writing — Rachel Carr
- Second place Feature Story Writing — Sarah Peeden
- Third place Critical Writing — Case Blackwell
- Third place Editorial Writing — Dan Keyserling
- Third place In-Depth Reporting — Alex Sellinger