No better time for Hoo fans

It's almost here. It's finally time to become one of the famed Hoos of Hooville.

And there is no better time to be a Hoo. Scott Stadium looks more and more like a big-time football venue. The lights of primetime have never been brighter in the ACC and the Cavs are ready to shine.

But are you prepared to christen the new-look stadium Sept. 18 against Wake Forest? I hope you remembered your ties, guys. And ladies, did you pack the sundresses? You're going to need them. No, this isn't some hallowed dress code. But nearly everyone who is a Hoo will dress up. Because it's fun.

As football season winds down, Hoo hoops take center stage. Cav coach Pete Gillen and company have stacked the deck with more than six new players. Now the men's basketball team is in position to return to respectability and more.

So when the new millennium dawns (you really didn't expect me to go a whole column without saying that did you?), the Cavaliers will look to make a run at the madness known as March.

In the spring, lacrosse takes center stage. The National Champion men's laxers will defend the crown vigorously. Coach Dom Starsia has a good chance of leading his squad to a repeat performance.

Those are each season's highlights for Hoo sports. But there's a ton of other sports nestled in between those mentioned above. In the fall, field hockey has been to the Final Four habitually. There's a new coach at the helm after Missi Sanders stepped down last year, but Jessica Wilk will keep the program at the top.

And don't forget about soccer. These two futbol teams are as good as their gridiron counterparts. Both squads will win a lot of games and are a ton of fun to watch.

The winter season brings indoor sports. Beyond basketball, swimming heats up the Aquatic and Fitness Center. Both the men's and women's squads finished in the top 15 a year ago and this season they both will look to continue to climb in the standings.

There are many, many other teams at the University that you should support wholeheartedly. Each squad in Hooville needs fan support to reach the top of its sport. And what better Hoo than you?