Carolina tars, feathers field hockey in shutout

The Cavalier field hockey team fell to North Carolina 1-0 yesterday, marking its first loss of the season.

The Tar Heels (6-1, 1-0 ACC) tallied the only goal of the game when forward Kristen McCann scored with 7:33 to go. The Heels outshot Virginia (5-1, 0-1 ACC) 10-4.

Carolina defeated Old Dominion, another top-five opponent, Saturday. The Tar Heels pulled off the weekend sweep without Jana Toepel, an All-American back who is competing in Australia with the National Team.

Volleyball loses twice

The Cavalier volleyball team dropped a pair of matches as part of the Carolina Classic Saturday. Both Michigan and host South Carolina pulled off 3-0 sweeps of the Cavs.

Gamecock coach Kim Christopher notched her 300th career win with the victory over the Cavs. Led by Berna Dwyer with 12 kills, three aces and 16 digs, South Carolina won its third straight match-up over an ACC team. The team also defeated Florida State and Georgia Tech in the past two weeks.

Vahaly, Montgomery ranked by ITA

The Intercollegiate Tennis Association has included two University students in its 1999 Preseason Singles and Doubles rankings. Brian Vahaly, ranked 16th in the last poll, has moved up to the No. 9 spot this year for singles. His 29 wins last season tied Class of 1998 graduate Justin Smith's 1994-95 school season record. Vahaly won his first round match at the 1999 NCAA Championships, the first Cavalier to do so since 1981.

Huntley Montgomery is ranked 76th in the poll after not having been among the top 100 in last season's final rankings. He won the ITA National Summer Singles Championship in August. As a duo, Vahaly and Montgomery are ranked sixth in doubles after a No. 18 ranking last season.

Robinson changes role but remains director

Les Robinson, N.C. State athletic director, has decided to drop his role as day-to-day supervisor in the Wolfpack sports programs. He will retain his title but plans to focus on fundraising and promotions instead. Jim Miller, the executive associate athletics director, will pick up the responsibility of operating N.C. State's day-to-day activities.

Homerun chase, part II

Saturday night Sammy Sosa became the first player to hit 60 homers in two seasons. Yesterday he added another to his total.

Sosa hit his 61st home run in his first at-bat Sunday against Milwaukee. The shot against the Brewers came in the 149th game of the Cubs season; this kept Sosa slightly ahead of his pace last year, when he hit his 61st last year in the 150th game. Meanwhile, Mark McGwire hit numbers 57 and 58 against the Astros. "Big Mac" is now tied with Hank Aaron for third on the career list for multi-homer games, with 62.

Skins slay Giants: The Washington Redskins recovered from last week's demoralizing overtime loss to the Dallas Cowboys, and did so in grand fashion yesterday, defeating the New York Giants 50-21.

It was the worst defeat for the Giants in 33 years.

"We were just terrible out there," New York cornerback Phillippi Sparks told The Associated Press after the loss. "This is just a very, very humbling situation."

Redskin tailback Stephen Davis ran for a touchdown on each of Washington's first three possessions while quarterback Brad Johnson threw for three more.