Jackets try to rebound after last season's setback

After last year's disappointing season, one goal lies ahead for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - making it to the NCAA Tournament.

Coach Bobby Cremins and his squad will be under intense scrutiny after last season, which was marred by a 15-16 record.

Although the Yellow Jackets were a dynamic and talented team last season, the chemistry was severely lacking.

"We've taken a lot of criticism, and rightfully so," Cremins said. "We have not been to the NCAA Tournament in the last three years. We've been to the NIT, but big deal. But I am fully committed to get us back. We've had some bad breaks but that's part of the game."

One of these tough breaks was the loss of guard Dion Glover early last season. During the first practice, Glover's season was ended by a torn ACL. Glover's absence from the Yellow Jackets will be a repeat this year; he was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks.

"I would have loved to have had him back, but I wanted him to make his own decision," Cremins said of the NBA draftee. "I hate that these kids have to agonize so much - it's not an easy decision."

Expectations of getting the team back on the right track are high, as each of last year's starters is returning. Cremins and the players are hoping that what was last year's youngest team in the league will now be a more focused and mature club.

"We were really young," said swingman Jason Floyd of last year's squad. "This year that's changing. We can find the determination out there we need. I've been here when Tech was 9-18, and I don't know if it gets any worse than that."

The return of two talented players is something the Yellow Jackets can look forward to - the twin towers, center Alvin Jones and center/forward Jason Collier, are expected to lead the team this season.

Jones, one of college basketball's best shot blockers, was named to the ACC All-Defensive team last year and also led the team in rebounds, with 9.7 per game.

"Alvin has two years under his belt," Cremins said of the Georgia Tech shot-block record holder. "He's got to improve his jump shot, his free throw shooting, and he's got to keep his head together."

Collier, at 7-feet, was plagued last season by numerous physical ailments, yet he averaged 17.2 points per game. During the off-season, he has built up his muscle and stamina. The combination of Collier and Jones will be a dangerous pair for their competition.

Floyd is another returning starter. Known for his skill at perimeter shooting, he was last year's second-leading scorer with 13.5 ppg.

Joining Floyd at the guard position is sophomore point guard Tony Akins. Last year he started in every contest and averaged 11.3 ppg. The Tech coaching staff and his teammates hope after last year's college basketball experience, Akins will increase his performance at guard.

"In the games we won, he played well," Floyd said. "It's tough being a freshman and being thrown into the fire of the ACC. And then when you've got great point guards to follow like Mark Price, Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury, it's tough to fill their shoes. But I think this year he is really going to come around. That year under his belt is really going to do him good."

"This is a big year for Tony," Cremins said. "Tony's got the talent; he's got to get the toughness."

Georgia Tech also will have an experienced bench in Jon Babul, T.J Vines, Darryl LaBarrie, Paul Trotti and Kyle Perry.

A new member of the Yellow Jackets is junior guard Shaun Fein, who transferred to Tech in 1998 from Stonehill College and was not eligible to play last season. In 1997, Fein was named the Northeast-10 Conference Player of the Year.

Other new prospects include the now-eligible Michael Isenhour, and the freshmen trio of Louisiana Player of the Year Clarence Moore, Ross Chouest and Alex Luyk.

The coaching staff has some new faces as well; Price and Willie Reese have been added to the program.

With these additions to the team as well as the experience of the older players, the Georgia Tech program is looking to make last season's performance a distant memory with a trip to the big dance.

"There's a lot of different guys who can be leaders on this team, and I think those guys all need to get together and go toward that common goal of winning games," Collier said.