Loss of Francis leaves Terrapins shell-shocked

With the loss of four starters from a Sweet Sixteen squad, most teams would be in the midst of a rebuilding season. But, the Maryland men's basketball team plans on reloading for another strong campaign.

The departures of Steve Francis, Laron Profit and Obinna Ekezie to the ranks of the NBA along with the graduation of three-year starting point guard Terrell Stokes, leave a crater-sized hole in College Park.

Francis burst onto the scene following two years in junior college and took the basketball nation by storm, impressing college basketball gurus with his flashy play. He teamed with Profit to provide several highlight-reel dunks and leave ACC opponents mystified in his wake.

Ekezie was an effective presence in the post before going down midway through the year with a ruptured right Achilles. Leading the quick-paced attack was Stokes, who managed to distribute the ball to all of the Terrapin scoring threats.

This year, preseason ACC Player of the Year Terence Morris will lead Maryland's charge. The junior power forward posted a breakthrough sophomore campaign, averaging 17 points and 7.1 boards per contest. Morris is deadly from both inside and out, with an ability to post up players down low, then slide behind the arc to drain the trifecta.

"He really developed into a good player last year and he worked hard," Maryland Coach Gary Williams said. "He should be in line to have a good year, but we lost so many players that it should be pretty easy to key on him."

With the exception of Morris, Maryland will be entering the year with several new starters. Lonnie Baxter, Danny Miller and Juan Dixon were all key reserves last year in the Terps' run.

"At the end of the season, they played key roles in a lot of our wins," Williams said. "They're experienced players now, they've played in some big games, so they know what it's about."

Baxter filled in admirably down the stretch following Ekezie's injury. The 6-foot-8, 250-pound center is a true power player. Baxter welcomes contact and often is able to use his physique to convert easy scoring opportunities in the paint.

"He was really important for us down the stretch," junior center Mike Mardesich said. "It's good to see a guy who worked hard get some recognition."

Miller will slide into the small forward spot vacated by current Washington Wizard Laron Profit.

A former McDonald's All-American from Mt. Holly, N.J., Miller improved during the latter stretches of his freshman season. He took a back seat last year with the Terps' plethora of talent, but during the NCAA Tournament he showed that, when called upon, he could deliver in critical situations.

Baltimore native Dixon provided a spark coming off of the bench and knocking down threes. Now he will be expected to add to his repertoire.

"Juan's been working a lot this summer on being a more consistent scorer - not just a shooter, but trying to score from everywhere on the floor," Mardesich said. "He's done a good job. He's played real well in the summertime."

The most intriguing newcomer to the starting lineup is freshman Steve Blake, who steps in at the point. The catalyst for the No. 1 high school team in the nation, Oak Hill Academy, will bring his game to College Park.

"Steve Blake has a good shot at starting when we start the season," Williams said. "There's been nothing I've seen in practice that leads me to believe he can't do that."

New arrivals Tahj Holden and Drew Nicholas are also expected to produce early on and provide much-needed depth. Also coming off the bench is Mardesich, a 7-footer who will be looking to improve after his sophomore slump.

"I don't deny that I had a poor year last year," he said. "It's not something that I'm proud of or that I expect from myself, so I'm just looking to improve."

The 1998-99 season saw the Terps reach as high as No. 2 in the national polls and set a school record by winning 28 games. They advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the sixth consecutive year, and made the Sweet Sixteen for the fourth time in six years.

"Last year we were given that," Williams said. "They said, 'you're good.' This year we're gonna have to earn that."