Gilmore to face Board reappointment decision

In coming months, Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) is expected to announce a replacement for outgoing University Board of Visitors member Albert H. Small and also whether he will reappoint three Board members whose terms run out this year - Champ Clark, William H. Goodwin and Henry L. Valentine II.

After Board members finish their four-year terms, they are eligible for reappointment for one additional four-year term.

Although Clark, Goodwin and Valentine will each face the expiration of their first term on March 1, the same day Small's final term will expire, Board Secretary Alexander G. "Sandy" Gilliam said. Small is the only remaining member to have been appointed by a Democratic governor.

Gilmore does not have a set deadline by which to announce his choices. But in the past, governors have reported their choices soon after the terms expire, Gilliam said.

"In modern times, governors have always made appointments before the next Board meeting," which is scheduled to be April 14 and 15 this year, he said.

If the Governor does not make his recommendations before March 1, each member will continue to serve on the Board until he is either replaced or reappointed.

After Gilmore decides on possible appointees, the General Assembly will then vote on whether to confirm or reject his choices.

Gilliam said the Assembly most likely will approve the Governor's selections.

In order to ensure that the University has some input into the appointments, the University Alumni Association is obligated by law to submit the names of three people they want the Governor to consider when filling vacancies.

The list must be submitted to the governor by Dec. 1 of the year prior to the expiration of the members' terms.

The Alumni Association looks for diversity of expertise, geography, race and gender when deciding whom to recommend for appointment, Alumni Association Executive Director Jack Syer said.

Additionally, the Alumni Association "talks to existing Board members about their view and what they need" in the new members, Syer said.

The Board's manual states that at least 11 of the 16 Board members must be University alumni.

Although the Governor does not need to appoint an alumnus, Syer said all three people on the Association's list this year are alumni. Clark is the only current Board member who is not a University graduate.